Router Fence undergoing incremental upgrades

The router fence has undergone the first steps in a series of upgrades. The long, awkward fence holding knobs have been replaced with a more compact knob and bolt. The places where the fence holding T-bolts enter the track on the table have been expanded, so it should be easier to remove and reattach the fence. But the main change is a new pair of sliding front pieces. These are larger, made of aluminum, and have a T-track cut right into them. These aren’t an improvement by themselves, but they will enable the next set of improvements.

Two notes: the T-track cutter that was available was a bit wider than I would have preferred. The T-bolts for fence attachments can’t pull straight out, but they can be angled out when horizontal. I consider this net neutral: you have to be careful they don’t fall out when moving and tightening them, but you have more ways to position them to start.

The main thing to be aware of is that these aluminum fence pieces will be far less forgiving than the old MDF pieces if you run your bit into it. These new parts will allow a feature to be added that will make cuts on the table more precise, higher quality, and generally much safer. But you will need to be mindful of avoiding the bit.

New knobs and track entrance.

New sliding fence pieces, with a feather board attached to show the T-track in use.

4 Likes

Beautiful work @mgmoore

These may not have been quite ready for prime time after all; the t-bolt issue is more serious than I thought at first. There are fixes for all of these issues, but it’s not ready to be the default yet.

Very clean and nice!

Awesome!