Rotary progress

Unfortunately there’s a firmware issues that makes the rotary difficult to impossible to use right now.

Luckily we know what the issue is, so maybe we can find a solution.

I’ll add this to the lobby shelf tomorrow. It’s rough, there’s plenty of flaws, but it’s progress.

8 Likes

Is this a lightsaber?

It is the hilt of Luke Skywalker’s light saber.

The knobs at the base of the hilt helped me overcome the problem with the Swift / RichAuto firmware.

The symmetry at the blade end of the model would have resulted in gcode from vcarve that focused on rotating the stock while keeping the rotary bit stationary.

The six knobs at the base interrupt the A axis symmetry and generated usable gcode

This is awesome! Thanks for leading the way on this! I’m excited for when we can get this up and operational. Please let me know of any help I can provide.

Out of curiosity, which software are you using and how have you found the move to rotary design? Carveco Maker just added rotary functionality and it is on my list to play with the features of it.

This brings me joy!!

Sorry Steve I thought I responded to this. So far I have only used Vcarve. I would like to try Fusion 360 4 axis once I have a few designs and can justify the $200 minimum purchase.

How have I found the move? It’s the same tool, it can be easy and fast or incredibly complicated and time consuming. Paying attention to grain direction may be more important than it already was.