[Resolved ] The large wood lathe still not working

Any idea what is wrong with it and when it may be fixed?

I ordered replacement switches for the on / off buttons. I’ll post on Discourse as soon as they arrive and I can install.

:doh:
Sorry we didn’t have that marked in Skedda! I just added it in there to say it’s unavailable for the moment. The event is currently set to end on 6/21 but I can adjust it as needed, just ping me @CLeininger

Update - Did some research and since the switch replacement did not fix the issue the next candidate is the relay. I spoke to Laguna via email and voice on 6/28 to walk through the problem and they agree it is most likely the relay. The replacement has been ordered and will update.

1 Like

Thank you for following up on that @David! I marked this in Skedda and have Big Bird set as unavailable through 7/9.

@valerie, just FYI that Skedda apparently differentiates between weekdays and weekends so it’s letting people (including myself) book the big lathe on the weekends. It was dumb luck on my part that I noticed this thread, otherwise the system wouldn’t have let me know:

:doh:
I didn’t notice the default selection on the repeat, thanks for point this out @Branislav! Updating it to fix…

1 Like

We replaced the relay. Now the lathe will turn on and turn the spindle, however the spindle stops spinning as soon as you let go of the power button. @David is going to circle back with Laguna for a solution.

Adding to this thread because lathe experts are already here:

One of the smaller banjos is having trouble holding the tool rest – you can crank down on the locking lever and the tool rest would still drop at the lightest of pressure. I experienced that earlier today while working on the lathe located in the middle of the three. Ended up taking the banjo and tool rest off and replacing them with the ones from the other 12/16 (the “corner” one). I couldn’t find a good place for the uncooperative banjo and tool rest so I left them on the bed of the corner lathe.

I noticed the banjo issue during my class this morning but didn’t have time to investigate further. I’ll try to take a look at it in the next few days.

1 Like

I got some insights from Laguna and will head over to the site Wednesday afternoon to see if that fixes Big Bird (large lathe).

2 Likes

The large wood lathe is back online! As the final fixed, I swapped the switches so that the green button starts it and red stops it. A huge thank you to @David for help with the repairs!

It can be released for use on Skedda. @valerie @jamesfreeman

2 Likes

Thanks for all the work on this @CLeininger and @David

1 Like