[Resolved] - Router Table

I red tagged the router table. Either the motor mount or the vertical post assembly is coming loose. This is not immediately obvious because it appears stable when a bit is inserted, however the assembly starts to wobble when placed under load. I placed a note on the router table and disconnected the power cords to prevent use, and submitted a problem report. Hopefully the lift merely needs a thorough break down and cleaning.

1 Like

I looked at the router table lift. The lift mechanism was crunchy and binding up. I cleaned the stanchions and lifting screw with a brass brush. I lubricated the running surfaces with chain wax. It is much much smoother. I also tightened the allen bolt that holds the clamping force on the router body. If there is any wobble. It might come from the body being a little loose. The allen tension bolt has a jamnut on it. The jamnut is missing the set screw. The stanchions were pretty dirty. I think the dropping is caused from sawdust being packed into the bushings causing it to bind and releasing tension when the tool is being used. I ran the router up and down about 5 times afterwards.

I did not run a piece of wood thorough the router table. I can’t take away the Red Tag till we do.

The stewards will need to implement an interval to clean and lubricate. We need to also schedule a deep cleaning interval where we disassemble and thoroughly clean the whole unit.

Dirty stanchions

3 Likes

I ran a test and it did not randomly drop. I looked at the stanchions today and there is still sawdust residue. When we get the new router. It needs a deep clean.

2 Likes

Thanks Joe!

The new router is ordered, ETA tomorrow I think. it probably won’t get installed until later in the week.

2 Likes

@jon, @valerie thank you for all that you do. Most members aren’t even aware of what you do to make the space function better.

4 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Often lots of behind the scenes, but without people like you and all the stewards checking in on the tools this ship would not stay afloat. It takes a village!

3 Likes