Repeatable longer cuts on the cold saw

Is there a way to make repeatable cuts on the cold saw for lengths that exceed the length of the stop arm?

My guess is to make a stop of some kind out of some scrap wood from the floor. The assumption is the saw won’t move.

or fab a longer bar for the stop and use a stand to support the far end. Depends on the level of precision you require.

Yea, I was thinking along the same lines but wanted to ask in case anyone had done this sort of thing before, before I re-invent the wheel.

Along the lines of the saw moving, I did have to nudge it a little bit when I was working on it last night, because my work piece did not clear the green shelf on the left of the saw. I’m not sure if the plan is to permanently bolt the saw down at some point, but we should make sure its permanent position accounts for that green shelf!

The level of precision I need is as high as possible :slight_smile:
I would be down to fab a longer bar for the shop but I’m still a novice at fabrication. Maybe someone with more experience is interested in doing this with me?

How long is this material? If it is highest precision possible. I would mill the material after sawing. I think a quickly built extension could be precise enough.

1 Like

I can’t remember the shape of the stop rod. This crude sketch should work. My assumption is the original stop bar is round. The stop would definitely work on a round bar, but it can work on a square bar as well with a longer set screw.

Hmm, I see. I am signed up for the milling class in January, so that works!

The full material length is 13’ and I’m cutting it into pieces of various lengths, most of them in the 20 - 35" neighborhood.

If I just need to achieve rough precision with the cold saw, then I probably can do without the stop. But if other folks are interested in a longer stop rod, I’m still happy to help build one!

Let’s make something. I think it can benefit the entire shop. I need to take some measurements. Could someone at the shop take a pic of the stop bar?

Joe, that sounds great.

We will be looking into securing the saw better.

Let’s do it! When is good for you @JoeN? I am planning on being there most of the day on Wednesday and a good chunk of this weekend.

I will take some measurement today. We can do some sketching for ideas on this thread. I might be out of town one of the days this weekend.

The measurement are .475" x .475" square pipe. I think we can add another 42" of bar to get to 60" of cuts. I think more than that . We should setup a conveyor runout table.

Here is what I was thinking. It is basically the same part as the original square rod. There is a sleeve for sliding over the original rod. There are (2) 1/4-20 tapped holes for securing the new square rod. The square rod is relatively easy to machine out of 1/2" square bar. The sleeve can be machined out of 1" square stock. I don’t have a broach that size. I am thinking of drilling a hole in the sleeve and then using a file to cut the square shape. Also some welding.

Let me know how I can help!

I am going to Westbrook to see what off cuts they have available.

@elasmophile I got material. I’m going to machine it at my shop. You are welcome to come by machine and the stock down to the correct size?

@JoeN Let me know where and when! Text me at 512-633-3206

1 Like

Turns out after measuring the original square stock which is .471” and the new stock which is .5”. The width of the new stock will work with the moveable stop. Thank you loose tolerances. Much less machining. The coupler needs to drill and filed square. There will also be 2 drilled and tapped set screws for securing the extension.

@dannym Could you print a part like this pic out of polycarbonate? Amazon

The hex is 7/16". Maybe .4475" for the hex for tolerance. I plan to epoxy it in place. The height of the hex is 3/16". Thank you if you have bandwidth. Happy Holidays!