Red Tag (Resolved) - All Prusa Mk3s

Hi 3D printers,

ALL THREE Prusa Mk3 (Apollo, Hermes, and Sunwukong) are red tagged starting

Thursday, Feb 1 @6pm through Friday, Feb 2 @12pm.

This is part of a planned upgrade following a proposal by @pearlgreymusic to add dedicated Raspberry Pi microcontrollers and upgrade the printers’ firmware to the latest version. All three FDM printers will be unavailable for use during this window and Skedda reservations have been blocked.

If anyone needs a file printed urgently between Thursday evening and Friday morning, please message me and I will do my best to accommodate it ahead of or during the downtime.

3 Likes

The upgrades are (mostly) complete and red tag is lifted a little early.

Octoprint isn’t available for use yet—there is work to be done setting up accounts, documentation, and stress testing. Otherwise the Prusa Mk3s are functional in standalone mode, as before, via SD card.

The printers have been moved around and we didn’t have time to check their calibration. Nothing should have changed, but just in case it’s a good idea if you’re the first print today to watch your first layer and make sure it goes well. Honestly a good practice in general

Everything looks great in the space! Appreciate all the effort from you guys on this!
I think I’m currently using Hermes (furthest left Mk3), but I didn’t see any name tags for the printers?
Anyhow, printer seems to be working great at the moment. I’ll check in again later this afternoon.

Thanks!!!

1 Like

Oooh that was an oversight on my part- I took the original tags off because the printers were moved around and their IP addresses/ports would be out of date with the Octoprint refactor (I will get the new URLs to access them when the new system is ready), but forgot that the names are important for the Skedda booking system and for reporting.

The printer names are currently labeled on the top of the power supply units, though it’s a bit of an inconvenient location.

From left to right in the enclosure, the printers are as follows:

[ Unnamed Prusa XL ], Apollo, Hermes, Sunwukong.

Thank you guys! I’m excited to see the XL listed. Is there a timeline for when it will be ready/available for general use?

Difficult to say, it’s about half assembled and I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes a bit of time to debug it. We will also need to figure out how different it is to use compared to the existing Prusa i3’s, if we can get away with just documentation or video, require a (free) update class, or require an “advanced” FDM printing class. One thing I do know is as of the time of writing, Octoprint does not fully support the Prusa XL so we will NOT be installing Octoprint on this.

I am just glad it is finally here, though.

Ok thanks for the info on printer names. Sorry I grabbed Apollo and not Hermes. Anyhow, Apollo worked great and my print looks as intended.

1 Like

:eyes: that Prusa XL! Please post some photos when y’all have test prints.