Rabbeting Bit Available?

I was wondering if anyone knows if the shop had any 1/4" or 1/2" rabbeting bits for the router. I’m trying to make a small 90 degree notch in the edge of my piece and a rabbeting bit would be perfect for it.

-Matt

You can also do rabbets on the table saw.

Unfortunately I’m trying to get an edge on the inside of a cavity, so I won’t be able to get the table saw blade to fit inside without cutting pieces off.

If you perhaps had a photo we could see to give the best option available, that would be splendid.

Sorry for the posh verbiage. I’m watching 8 out of 10 cats does countdown. If you’ve never seen it. It’s brilliant

I think in general router bits are like drill bits - there are a bunch lying around, but we don’t strive to maintain any particular inventory. They tend to come and go as they dull or people leave single-use bits behind for others to use.

Rabbeting bits are common enough I’d be a little surprised if there wasn’t one in a drawer somewhere, but I couldn’t make any promises.

2 Likes

I will look around for some thank you. I attached the photos of a piece I am working on that I would like to router. I would basically like to open up all the edges of the cavity slightly to make room for a lid to fit in the piece and close up the cavity.

If you haven’t found one yet, I’m willing to lend you my 1/2" or 1/4" Ryobi bits @masper. They’re cheap admittedly, but they should get the job done lol.

You could also put some supports on the inside of the cavity to hold your lid up, provided it isn’t the same thickness as the outer portion.

Whats the project btw? A box of some sort?

Yes i actually found a solution, sorry for the late reply. But yes! I am just finishing up a wooden box for my girlfriend and I’s anniversary.

That would also be a great way to hold up the top, I didn’t consider that. Thanks, I could definitely use that idea for other projects.

-Matt

1 Like

Oh awesome, good to hear.

It’s actually me and my gf’s anniversary next week.

Didn’t have time to make something unfortunately, so expensive jewelry will have to suffice lol.