QR code label material / printing

Are the QR codes on the tools in the space made in house?
If so, can I find out what the material is that we use and what they’re printed with?

I am working on a similar solution for documentation at my day job and I want to create a similar tag to put inside pelican cases for reference material thats more durable than laminated paper.

1 Like

I suggest using sublimated aluminum. Sublimation blanks come in a variety of shapes and sizes, and it works beautifully with our sublimation setup in textiles

1 Like

What @stepho days.
Current QR codes are laminated paper. The red, yellow, and green ones. Dye sub aluminum is the future.

1 Like

Man, idunno why I thought they were plastic sheet this whole time. I guess I’ve never actually put my hands on one

1 Like

An example in the shop of sublimated aluminum is the instruction cards that are on the planer and jointer that @JOSEGAYTAN made. They look amazing.

“Aluminum sublimation blank” is the search term for Amazon. If you see either @jamesfreeman or I around the shop, we can show you business card sized versions as well.

2 Likes

The current ones with the QR codes are laminated paper.

1 Like

Copy that, I looked at the new labels yesterday and they’re solid.

I’m gonna see if work wants to pay for the class all I’ll see ya there :call_me_hand:t3:

“Aluminum Sublimation Blank” is just one kind of metal that can be sublimated. Happens to be the utility kind used in the engraving field since is also the most cost effective (cheaper) that has excellent results across the board (photo, graphics, and text). However, there are other metals such as ChromaLuxe that have much better definition but are four times more expensive. This particular one is used more in the photo advertising arena as the contrast and definition really is like a photo on a metal. The reason I mention this kind is that I recommend this instead of the aluminum kind. It is thicker, is designed for outdoor use, and is very durable. The aluminum kind is prone to scratching and wearing off or fading with time. Also, if is not cut right can have very sharp edges, specially at the corners. The bad of sublimation metals: the guillotine or shear used to cut it is expensive $350 to $600. ChromaLuxe is not sold in small sheets but is very easy to cut even though is thicker (about 1/8"). To mount the metal to most surfaces you can use Tesa Double sided tape which can be semi-permanent, the adhesive itself is white and the peel paper is gold. It works best if you clean the surface with alcohol before applying the tape. Also, to hold the sublimation paper to the metal or substrate you can use what is called “Heat tape.” this one can come in different semi-transparent colors. I have seen it in green, red, and gold. All the mentioned products can be obtained through JDS Industries, but you have to establish a wholesale account before ordering which is rather easy. I am not advertising for JDS but in my experience for the above items they have the best price and free shipping if you order over $99. Their shipping is also very dependable, you know if they have it in stock and you get the items within three days. If you choose the Dallas or Houston Warehouse sometimes you get shipping overnight if you order early on the day. Anyway, at the JDS website you have videos and a technical sheet that gives you information about all the stuff they sell, the normal settings how to apply or engrave, measurements, and characteristics of the items. I’m glad you liked the plates I made; I am not fond of paper labels specially for warnings for equipment usage. They can be improved to make them more visible, but I am not familiar with the printer at ASMBLY to get a combination of colors to make them “pop.” No, I do not want to teach a sublimation class (before you ask) as I am not fond of that medium but realize it has a place in a maker space.

1 Like