PSA: You can tap your phone on the OpenPath thingies

Somehow I have been a member here for a year and a half and had no idea that instead of fumbling around with the app to pick the specific door to unlock, I can just tap my phone (screen off, no apps open, Bluetooth enabled) on the thingy with the light on it for a couple seconds and it will unlock that door for me.

I didn’t even discover this, my partner while helping me load some lumber in a few weeks ago just intuitively tried this out and I was surprised!

This is with a iPhone 11 and Jon confirms this works with Android too!

1 Like

Yes, it works on any phone. There’s no need to interact with the app at all so long as you haven’t disabled the background service or revoked its Bluetooth permissions.

If your phone pocket is near the reader, tapping the reader with your hand (elbow, etc…) usually works too. It used to always work, but we turned down the reader sensitivity a while back when we noticed it unlocking on credentials of folks already inside.

1 Like

Hmm, the change in reader sensitivity might explain some of my difficulties as of the last few months. I used to be able to keep the phone in my pocket and tap the reader with my hand, but it’s not working that well any more – it’s either extremely slow to react or will absolutely require me to use the phone instead.

Not asking to undo the change, I’m just happy if I can explain why things are different now :smiley:

Bran, you might check your Openpath app settings/permissions. Turning “Location” from “While using” to “Always” made it work much more reliably for me—maybe at the cost of a little data privacy and battery life, but less fumbling is worth it to me.