Project complete prop from CNC, lasers, electronics, etc?

Tonight is Sacrifest ‘23, Fight Opera’s second comedy wrestling show.

I built the donation tracker to track our goal for blood raised!

The heart at the bottom and skull on top were lasered from acrylic.

The body was cut on the Laguna Swift. The cardboard facade/skin was drawn using a marker bit on the swift.

The lights are three sets of string lights with one set alternating off via voltage relays wired to an esp8266 MCU

As violence happens during the show we will fill the thermometer with blood. When we reach our goal there may be a big surprise, who knows?

Tonight at Pink Flamingo Plant Co you can find out. 7pm Fight Opera Presents: Sacrifest Tickets, Sat, Apr 1, 2023 at 6:00 PM | Eventbrite

5 Likes

For the first show I made these cardboard teeth on Tarkin. They were meant for one show and are still around, despite having seen better days.

4 Likes

We reached our blood goal.

3 Likes

Unfortunately I didn’t take many progress pics.

1 Like

Dude that looks awesome! I’m thrilled the blood drive went well. Looks like there were many vampires about.

1 Like

Love that skull! I’m guessing you used a two-tone acrylic sheet? If so, I’d love to hear any recommendations on where to buy from. I’m looking to make a backlit black & white sign and this looks like it would work perfectly.

The skull is a frosted acrylic sheet from Houston Acrylic, and a gift so I don’t have the exact product number. It may be this: 1/8" Frosted White Cast Acrylic Sheet – Houston Acrylic

The acrylic comes with a protective paper backing. Tarkin has a profile to rasterize/etch acrylic with a paper backing. I used that acrylic profile to rasterize the heart and the skull.

The raster process burns away the paper where the laser goes but leaves the rest intact. I then used that intact paper as a mask for some black spray paint.

1 Like

This is a test skull. You can see how the frosted areas could be painted black to achieve the look of the final skull.

1 Like

Apologies for the continued bumping.

I realized I missed a fun detail:

The plywood is skinned with cardboard:

When I used the CNC to draw the shapes for the skin I dotted some registration marks. I then used lightburn’s print+cut to laser cut the circles out of the cardboard for the light holes. This saved a lot of time but meant I needed to cut the 8’ sheet in half.

1 Like

Print+Cut continues to be a hugely useful technique

2 Likes

Got it! That’s a much more straightforward technique than what I was planning… You probably saved me hours of trying to dial in a jigsaw puzzle of black and white acrylic pieces :smiley:

1 Like

This all turned out so cool @Iammikecohen, thanks for sharing!

I do this sort of thing a lot with painting acrylic as well. The masking paper on the acrylic becomes super useful and the texture from rastering makes the paint stick nicely.

1 Like

That’s great to hear, thanks @valerie!

@Iammikecohen referred to a profile on Tarkin that’s used for rastering – does anyone know the name of the profile? I’d like to play with it in the coming days.

There’s no one single rastering profile. There’s a lot of ways to do it