Power coating ovens

Would we be interested in this jennair double oven. They say it works but temp not accurate. They are free on next door. They look like they may be better than the one we have. Maybe an easy fix.

I didn’t hear a response from anyone, so I made a decision to get the oven as it will go fast. If we don’t want it, I’ll dispose of it

My son Chris and I dropped off the ovens At hackerspace. They appear to be very heavy duty. They have full extension rollers On the racks which seem to be ball bearings. This will aid in getting hot powder coated materials out of the oven without burning yourself. The owner said you The Ovens work, but the temp control is not good (should be an easy fix.) These are expensive ovens and they did not want to see them thrown away. They were very happy that we were going to repurpose them.
image image

1 Like

The racks will have to go, and some sort of provision for hooks to grab, along the top of the oven.

You suspend the pieces by thin wire, so the finish does not get marred.

I thought to remove the bottom rack, raise the top one is high as it would go and suspend the wires from it And slide the whole arrangement out to remove.

Fred R. Martin, M.D.

Or we could leave the ball bearing slides in plAce Cut out the center section. We could then weld the frame at any height we want. Just allow enough room to get a hanger wire over it. I have done powder coating before and never intended pieces to sit on the rack. This could let everybody get their feet wet before we build a BIG powder coating oven😏

This is cool. I’ve got more enthusiasm than knowledge, but am free on weekends to help.

Yes, the slides would be best, with a fab’d frame that maximizes interior volume. These small ovens are, very, limited. The oven should be mounted high enough that adults do not have to stoop, to insert delicate powder coated projects into the oven. Same for removal of hot, tacky, coating is done.

I am onboard the idea of a real, larger, oven that can hold projects like, motorcycle frames and automotive parts.

Peace, Wolf

@JoeN has already purchased a much larger industrial cabinet for the powder coating oven that he is holding at his school until we have a different project completed which will free up the space for the oven/ spray area that we need.
We are actually wanting to get rid of the oven that is over there, so if someone wants to have it for there personal use or would volunteer to dispose of it properly please reach out to @JoeN

1 Like

Great on the big oven. I still think the 2 smaller Jenn-air ovens would be useful. Many projects are small parts and the large oven is overkill. Also allows simultaneous processing of parts with different time/temperature requirements ( different powder). Some parts need a different basecoat and topcoat. Some parts also need to sit on a solid surface that are not fully powder coated and have no hole to hook a wire to (like a yeti cup). We could leave the rack in the bottom of the bottom oven as is for that purpose.

1 Like

So the plan was to actually have a removable split in the oven so if people needed just a small area they could but if needed the full volume they could just remove it. We do not have room or power for two ovens, but we can hold onto the one you got until Joe and others come up with a more concrete plan.

Eric

1 Like

Understood. Those ovens sell for about $3000-$4000 new. They may be worth fixing the temp control and either selling to fund hackerspace or donating to a worthy cause. It seems a shame for them to end up in the crusher. We could also put them in to service while prototyping our powder coating solution and get rid of them when the big oven is ready. They are probably serviceable now if we used a separate thermometer to set the temperature.

Fred R. Martin, M.D.

1 Like