Possible to rewire this battery?

Hello! I’m not a member but was directed to this wonderful forum by a very helpful membership coordinator, and I hope someone here can help answer this question.

I’m looking to replace the faulty batteries in my electric mower’s battery case. Two of the connections are soldered on, and when the guy at BatteriesPlus looked at it and tried to solder them off at 900*, they wouldn’t budge, and he said they need to be cut but then would be too short to connect.

Is this salvageable? Would anybody be willing to help me through this project?

Here are some pics of the batteries and connections that should make things clearer since I can’t embed images in this post: photos[dot]app[dot]goo[dot]gl/Cn76zRvc6eMB812W8

I hope what I’m saying makes sense and the pictures help. I have the replacement batteries ready to go as well. Seems like such a waste to get a whole new mower because of this issue.

Thanks!

We have a battery tang welder in the Elab.

This should not be soldered. Just crimp a FASTON on the wire end and press on.

That looks like lead acid batteries- they’re being replaced everywhere with li-ion. They’re so much better in the long run

Ah, thanks for looking at this! Are you suggesting @dannym , that I cut the currently soldered wires and usea FASTON to reattach to the new batteries?

That makes sense to me, and seems doable (!) but just wanna double check I understand.

Cut the soldered part of the wire- you want to avoid crimping over solder. Crimps work via pressure- solder is soft and a little brittle, it will tend to compress and the terminal’s crimp will loosen.

So, cut back just enough, crimp on a FASTON sized for the battery terminal size and wire gauge you have, and push it on the battery

1 Like

Thanks. I’m gonna try this week, and I’ll report back how it goes!

1 Like

this totally worked, and my mower is back up and running! Thanks so much!

2 Likes