Poly Printer and general help

Good Morning, I work nights so came in today at 4:30am to use the Poly Printer and cant get the OctPrint software to link up to the PolyPrinter. Is the server down? Also I’ve been a member for over a 1.5 years but just started coming back in so dont know how to schedule time on the systems. I have my training on the CNC, lasers, 3d printer and general machines. If someone can direct me to how to download these sites that would be great. Last system I used was Gmail calendar.

Thanks everyone
Mark

on the little laptop there is an octo print bookmark for the polyprinter or you can just type in the address that over by it.@dash3811 knows how to check it wirelessly if there is something wrong with the server.

For how to schedule, check out this post - How to get access to Skedda

Thanks for the help. I will use these links.

They aren’t responding online. I will come in later today and see what’s wrong with them. In the mean time there is a small red box behind the Qidi that controls the raspberry pi running them. If you are able to reset it by unplugging/plugging it back in and waiting for it to reboot. That should do the trick.

I should of mention that earlier. I did unplug the red box behind the 2 3d printers for 30 sec and rebooted the computer after not getting any connections. after reboot, I still got a timeout error. Hope that was the correct thing to do

If it gets fixed today can you please let me know. I’m getting off at 6am tomorrow and will need to come in and print out a project if possible. Otherwise I can go home and get some sleep. thanks very much for looking at it. Mark

Yes ill definitely update the post. This will be less of an impact in the future as i will install a program that will allow access to the command prompt of the pi remotely. That way i can attempt any debugging and troubleshooting from home making the process quicker.

1 Like

So my initial idea of why it wasn’t working turned out to be absolutely correct. For whatever reason, the IP address on the pi automagically changed itself.

This is why I attempted to get some assistance or access to the main router to set static IP addresses for the devices so this wouldn’t happen.

So imagine moving to a new city/home except for every day your address changes. That’s exactly what happened in this situation. We moved to something new and since static IP’s were not set the original address changed and everyone was lost.

Although I am able to ssh into the pi from home now, I have no control over the IP addresses changing. I even tried setting them inside the raspberry pi options, but it only allows me to input the hostname and WLAN settings. I foresee this happening again in the future without actually setting up a static IP address for the PI’s.

That doesn’t sound good!!! Wow its 2am so appreciate all you done. It sounds like it might be working at this time so will come in at 6am to see. Thanks for all your work.

Yeah im still here finishing up some stuff ive been meaning to do

You can set options in the RPi DHCPCD configuration to give you a static address.

However, as you have pointed out, the correct solution is for the folks running the DHCP server to assign a static IP address in the DHCP configuration to your MAC addresses.

So it’s up and running was able to get it hardwired and it’s wireless as well so fingers crossed it should be good by the time you get here.

I hesitate to mention this, but even more “convenient” would be to run our own DNS server so that “formlabs.asmbly.lan” or similar resolved to the internal ip address. Unfortunately, it’s a PITA administratively, and even more so if you want HTTPS to work safely.

I’m not great with networking, but couldn’t we add a DNS record to our AWS Route 53 hosted zone for this? I would expect since it’s an internal IP it would only resolve when you’re on the network but I think that would work, right? Doesn’t solve the static IP bit, but makes the URL more friendly.

There are trade-offs to that approach, Valerie. You’re not “supposed” to put internal IP addresses in public DNS for various debatable reasons (and this is not the time or place to debate). “Internal DNS” deserves its own topic and project champions rather than hijack this thread. It’s kind of a whole thing that would need detailed maintenance plans (I favor the infrastructure-as-code approach, such that network changes are pushed after a git release of a tag of the “networking-setup” repository) and some consensus after discussion. Let’s table it for now and maintain status-quo until such time as we have resources to revisit.

1 Like

Sounds good @rgm, thanks for the insights.

Static IP address is as good as anything, and much less maintenance than most.

However, I might suggest that at some point in the future we not be 192.168.1.X. Everything in the universe wants to default to 192.168.1.X so it all collides.

I’d pick something like 192.168.41.X or 192.168.43.X, for example. I tend to pick prime numbers because I’m a geek that way …

For this kind of DNS you would run an internal DNS separate from our public DNS, Dnsmasq would solve this problem. It is an integrated DNS and DHCP server so we could assign IP address to devices and resolve them with a DNS name like ‘printer.internal’

I’m not clear why this isn’t working already - my unifi router DNS resolves internally allocated IP addresses out-of-the-box; I’d have to look into why our edgerouter isn’t doing the same.

@elrod any ideas?