Please no polycarbonate in lasers

Just a friendly reminder- polycarbonate (Lexan) is a clear plastic that looks like acrylic, but cannot be laser cut. It’s not a matter of getting through it- it yellows, chars, and cracks, but it’s technically possible to get through a thin piece. But it’ll massively soot the machine and lens in seconds

That’s what killed Blue’s lens. There’s polycarbonate web soot all over, so that case is closed. No biggie I mounted a new lens that’s why we have spares.

Just be mindful of what you’re cutting, folks!

2 Likes

What’s the right way to cut polycarbonate? CNC router?

1 Like

CNC is an excellent option. Table saw, band saw, scroll saw, jigsaw… anything with the word “saw” in it

2 Likes

Hey Jon. I would suggest making a template with the laser machine and then cutting it with a combination of a jigsaw to get close to the right shape and then the router. of course if the piece is small or you need a lot of them the cnc may be a better option, but most plastics are light and cnc machines are a little tricky to get to a setting that will not just throw your plastic or break your tabs in my experience. Also you will still have to finish the piece with either a router, a blade or sand paper. Good Luck!

If you use bluetape and ca glue as hold down. It works great for the cnc router for smaller lighter cuts. I would rather tape and glue than sand tabs. It is also a more even cut on thinner material which has a tendency to lift.

1 Like

I presume that by “ca glue”, you mean cyanoacrylate AKA super glue?

yes. the setup is tape - glue - tape. so you place tape on your material. you then place the glue on the tape on you material which should be the outer side of the tape. you then back tape on top of that glue. So place the tape with sticky side up then place material on the cnc bed. Or you could place tape on bed, then glue and place tape on it sticky side up. Then place material on top of the tape.

So you are making two sided tape but painters tape is easily removeable as opposed to commercially available double sided tape.

Also the use of compression, downcut or straight-flute will help prevent lifting.

Fun fact- compression bits in 1/8" for thin sheets are a thing

Yes. I use a super glue with accelerator.

Found some lexan in the scrap cart.

As this post says its not safe for laser cutting.

2 Likes

My thoughts on the old discussion about machining/routering polycarbonate (aka Lexan): the best way to machine polycarbonate is to throw it away and buy some acrylic (or another machinable plastic). Polycarbonate is brittle to start with and will both work and heat harden, making it a nightmare to cut, drill holes in, or otherwise machine. The best way to make straight cuts in thin polycarbonate is actually to score and snap it, using its brittleness to your advantage.

Given how hard it is to machine, I’m not surprised someone might try to laser it instead. But that’s obviously a disaster too.

1 Like

I cut polycarbonate quite a bit. I have gotten pretty good with my formula. I also use the vac on the cnc to remove chips so it doesn’t reweld

1 Like

Polycarbonate is much stronger than acrylic overall. It is not quite as stiff, which allows it to absorb more impact and bend further without breaking. Its surface is not as hard, it scratches easier than acrylic. Safety glasses and bullet-resistant glass is polycarbonate.

It’s just a different material. Whether it’s “better” is entirely up to the application.

Unfortunately polycarbonate doesn’t laser, but it’s not hard to saw or CNC. Polycarbonate can be 3D printed but it’s one of the most difficult materials to 3D print, mostly due to the high temp needed.

1 Like

I had an idea- I added Polycarbonate/Lexan,PVC, fiberglass, and carbon fiber to the Library, with zero power and DO NOT CUT next to the title and what specifically will go wrong if you were to do it in the description

So, if you didn’t recall that rule, when you go looking for the settings for a piece of polycarbonate, you’ll find this message!

3 Likes

I like that idea. PVC and any other material as well.

You are right about the properties of course, but I find so many people confuse acrylic and polycarbonate (or their name brands even more) without realizing how different they are and how much easier acrylic is to work with in general.

Making those library settings sounds like a very good idea!