PETG prints

I am preparing for a couple of 20 hr prints using PETG. Was planning on using the Apollo and Hermes simultaneously overnight for different parts.

Questions:
Is Hermes is the only one with the satin plate?

Are there extra satin plates somewhere so I can print on satin on both printers?

Should use glue stick on the smooth plate to make sure PTEG releases?

Glue stick not needed for PTEG on Satin?

Hi Eric,
I think that that’s the only satin plate, but there is a stack of build plates and surfaces in the top drawer of the filing cabinet that’s under the table in 3dp, so maybe there’s another in there.

If not, please don’t use glue stick on the plates. We’re trying to phase it out. People are reporting success with Windex or even forehead grease to help keep the petg from sticking too much, and both of those sound like easier cleanup to me. There are also blue tape sheets and other disposable surfaces in the drawer. Tbh I’m not sure how easy it is to get those adhesives off after a print, but I bet they’re also easier than glue stick

You could also do the blue tape sheet and leave it on after your print if it’s still in good shape. Then that’ll be available for other people who need to print petg. I think we’re nearing time for new sheets, so we’ll keep this need in mind

Great. Thanks is for the input. I never would have even thought to try Windex…??? I will look for the blue tape sheet and try on Apollo and use the satin plate without anything else on Hermes. Just don’t want to mess up plates with the PETG as there are two large object bases that I don’t want to permanently attach to a plate. :slight_smile:

Depending on how much time you have, you might print a few layers and see how well it comes off so you don’t risk your whole print. I don’t have a ton of petg experience, so I wish I had stronger advice.

Good idea. Is there a simple way to abort a job after the first couple layers? That would be a reasonable test before a large job.

If you push the knob it’ll bring up a menu and one of the options is “stop print”

1 Like

Update. I tried the blue tape sheet with poor results on Apollo. Could not get first layer to stick. I then did a small test print with PETG directly on clean smooth plate and it adhered nicely for the print and was not too difficult to release from the plate. I just used generic PETG settings in PrusaSlicer. Then I performed a larger print and it released nicely as well.

Petg usually adheres very well to pei build surface- in fact the problem is often it adheres so much it can’t be removed without ripping off parts of the build sheet.

You need a thick first layer, like 0.28, on a plate 70-80c, laid slow, 20-30mm/s.

To prevent over adhesion you may want to back off on one parameter or the other

Petg really benefits from an enclosure to keep it warm so it doesn’t contract until you’re ready to take it

Fyi: just had to stop your print because the smaller part came off the bed and was traveling with the nozzle. Thankfully the large part seems to be a success.

Your other print had a crash, though

Thanks! …and that was the easy part!!! Not sure why it messed up there. Just started a couple large parts tonight. Fingers crossed.

FYI…. Finished a couple large PETG prints on smooth plate. Good adhesion and good release from plate. I simply cleaned plate with soap and water and cleaned with the 99% Isopropyl Alcohol.

I used Black Overture PETG from Amazon.

1 Like