Parts Washer Status Part Deux

Hey y’all! I used the parts washer today to clean some engine heads. (yes @JoeN the project continues :D) That degreaser/cleaner in there should probably be swapped out. So I have questions.

-Who takes care of that machine?
-Are they responsible for cleaner/chem disposal, the hackerspace, or any person that takes that on?
-Am I cool to get any decent cleaner for parts washers, and cleaning/swapping the fluid myself?

And a side question:
Are y’all cool with me getting a bunch of cheap over-the-ear hearing protectors for the space, cuz sweet jesus it was loud today.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey @mistertwo It is mine. It could definitely use a cleaning agent refresh. You can change it out if you like. I have some plans to improve it a bit. I assume when the autobay is going to get some tlc that the space will get a steward and there will be a plan to take care of the gear in the auto. I use purple power.

Never give up on your projects!

2 Likes

I certainly wouldn’t object to leaving some over-the-ear hearing protection around, but not a big bunch. If there were more than four floating around the woodshop or two in the fab shop I think they’d become clutter.

The old pegboard had a box of disposable foam earplugs for when you really need something. If they’re not in the new hand tool storage area, we might need to order another box.

The community PPE dwindled in Covid-times to reduce germ sharing. We still encourage everyone to bring their own masks, glasses, earmuffs, gloves, jackets, etc, but it’s nice to have some around in case you get caught out.

3 Likes

The earplugs are still there, on top of everything, there’s still a couple dozen in the box.

4 Likes

Thanks for the updates! I’ll get the fluid swapped out today at some point, and I’ll see if I can track down the earplugs for future use too.

2 Likes

FWIW - I often use “moldable” earplugs when I’m at the shop. I think they were like $10 at Amazon. They end up being pretty comfortable. I just keep them in my tool bag that I always bring with me.

2 Likes

I’m going to get back into the habit of bringing a space bag when I go up there. :slight_smile:

Anyways, I’m firing off an email to stewards@asmbly.org to find out what’s needed to be a space steward. Having that space organized would be kinda cool. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Moldex M6644 Extra-Soft Sparkplug Earplugs (250 per Dispenser) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015MG2ZW2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_KWN07GH0S4KKBEKDB9E8

Other options abound. Most companies / shops I’ve worked in have them wall mounted at entrance to noisy area. That’s the one I’ve got in my shop.

2 Likes

Hokay. The fluid in the washer has been swapped, and an LED lamp will be ordered soon to make the washer easier to use.

1 Like

I will look at welding a holder for the chem apron, gloves, and ppe holder