Open-Source Trackball

I saw someone using a trackball mouse at a cafe today, and I thought - shoot, I used to love trackballs. They were a big thing, and then…. Went away because laptops started coming with trackpads. Yet, for designers, who need more precise control than a finger-based trackpad, and don’t want to take up all the “roaming space” of a mouse - trackball has always been there for you. It didn’t go away. You went away. Is it time to come back?

I did some searching online, “recommendations trackball reddit” and after reading the comments, saw that one product “Ploopy Classic” kept up coning as people’s favorite. Apparently it’s a clone of a popular trackball that Microsoft made back in the day - and now the patents have expired (?).

Upon checking out the site, I learned that Ploopy Classic is an open-hardware product. You can download the source here, and make one yourself: GitHub - ploopyco/classic-trackball: A trackball mouse. Mechanical files, PCBs, and firmware all included.

On their site, you can buy a kit (parts) OR a fully assembled one (product)

https://ploopy.co/product-category/trackball/classic/

To those enterprising maker-space entrepreneurs, you ought to consider this approach for your next products. It’s an effective way to build a supportive community around a product, constantly get improvements, and easily turn a prototype into a functional business. Make something cool, document how you did it, sell its parts / complete product online. Send a prototype for free to experts in return for their feedback, and you’ve got at least 3 iterations of improvements, ready to go, and ready to sell!

2 Likes

I have a trackball that I’m not using, if there’s a PC in the space that can use it.

(But I don’t think that’s the purpose of your post…)

Which model? I may be interested…

It’s a Kensington TurboRing

(Hand for reference.)

I’m a huge fan of thumb trackballs. I’ve used variants of the Logitech Trackman since before mice had wheels; the M570 was garbage (I burned through 3 of them) but the M575 and MX Ergo are pretty nice.

1 Like

Any leads on good wire-only ones? I played with a Logi Ergo and 575 today. They both seemed ok - but I’m not looking forward to bringing any more wireless/ bluetooth / flaky connections stuff into my workplace.

How do you like the Turboring?

I’ve had it for over 20 years, so I guess it’s fine. :smiley:

My wired trackballs are all[1] vintage USB Trackman Wheels. The one I’m using right now I bought new in 2010 so they seem to hold up pretty well. I bought another off ebay recently for $30ish just to have around for miscellaneous.

[1] except for the extra-vintage PS/2 three-button trackman I kept for my Indy, but that spends most of its time in a box.