Octoprint seems to be down [resolved with hard reboot 6/26]

@pearlgreymusic @dash3811 @Devmani @christoph_lewis

Hi there, I’m trying to do some prints from the 3D area but I can’t get any of the Octoprint portals for the Prusa printers to connect. I’ve read through some past troubles with this and it seems like the server could be down? is anyone able to walk me through the steps to reset it?

feel free to text me directly if you catch this message 610 731 6206

thanks,

Tate Chow

I found the SD card so I just decided to print from that for now, not urgent anymore, but if some one gets a chance to look into this I’d appreciate knowing how to troubleshoot it in the future

1 Like

Hi Tate
I’ve run into this situation in the past and I believe the server needed to be rebooted. Server is that dell box next to Hermes I think. However I think @Devmani had to log in and work some magic to get it up again.

Sorry I can’t help more.

Christopher

1 Like

There is also discussion actively underway on how to improve this situation

Hi Christopher,

No worries, I appreciate the response anyway!

Hi @stepho

is that discussion here on discourse somewhere or is there a working group actively brainstorming solutions? I have no qualifications in this arena, but I’d be happy to be apart of the discussion and help execute on the plan

I believe that @pearlgreymusic is the primary person with ideas, so check in with them! I’m glad to hear you’re interested in helping out. I think Riko is aiming for the work day in a few weeks as a time

Hey y’all, I have done the most recent servicing on the print server.

Part of what I did was try to set up the Octoprint server to completely set itself back up on power-on with no intervention, meaning a hard reboot, or power-on after a power loss, should be all that is needed to get the Octoprint server back online.

EDIT: SARAH PERFORMED THIS ALREADY, ONLY DO THIS IF ITS DOWN AGAIN!

For now, IF NO PRINTERS ARE CURRENTLY PRINTING, I think it is fine for non-steward members to do a reboot of the central OctoPrint server.

Here’s the instructions for how to do that:

• go to the printers
  • find the power button on the Dell Optiplex (it is between two of the Prusa i3 printers) and give it a hard reboot
  • wait 10 minutes (it’s hard drive based and there might be a windows update or disk check that slows everything from starting…)
  • go to one of the workstations in the classroom and go to http://192.168.0.175:5000/ . if it fails to load, try a couple hard refreshes (CTRL + F5)
  • if the Octoprint log-in interface shows up, its working!

I am currently working out the details for making Octoprint a lot more reliable and plan to deploy the upgrades the next Work Day, but it basically entails moving the Octoprint services away from the central server, and to a Raspberry Pi mounted on each individual printer running Octoprint. Should help solve multiple problems and keep printer uptime up, and also be much easier to maintain than the current solution.

3 Likes

Working now!

1 Like

@pearlgreymusic

Thank you for sharing those steps! I’d love to be included in the working group if you all meet anytime soon

We could definitely use more help in the 3D printing space!