New outfeed table

I’ve run out of Asmbly improvement projects.
It’s time for a new Asmbly improvement project.

I want to rebuild the outfield table in the style of the MFT tables (but more tailored to its own dedicated use case). Of course I invented this problem and the solution in a silo. Is there an appetite from the community to support this project?

@cfstaley and I have both mentioned that the current iteration is probably a bit too large. The space is also likely a bit under utilized. If anyone has thoughts and prayers in this regards let me hear em.

Is 5’x5’ too small?
Should we optimize for sheet goods?
Should we store and sell sheet goods (a la laser table)?
Casters or pallet jack?

1 Like

I think definitely smaller, but still big enough to catch some 8’ material without falling off the other side or hitting another tool?

Maybe it only needs to be on the left side to match the cast iron itself?

Casters might help for maintenance but then the table might migrate somewhere else for some unrelated task.
Maybe those flip down style wheels? So it’ll stay down till you want the whole deal to move. I think some like the rockler ones they can be taken off entirely or they have a little “key” so it can’t be moved all Willy-nilly

Having sheet goods on hand wouldn’t be a bad thing, but I think we might get too into the weeds with quality/types/sizes, and having someone get a full re-up is a good amount of work and wear on a personal vehicle. I feel like that stuff would get eaten up pretty quickly.

Haha, this is already on the Stewards work day project list! We’ve been discussing a 2’ reduction in length, but maintaining a pretty large size will be important for keeping it workable for all 4 tools that regularly use it – table saw, router table, drum sander, miter saw.

Making good use of the space underneath is something I haven’t seen discussed that we should figure out!

So you’re saying I’m off the hook?

Perfect timing, as Valerie says. Only is welcome. As she started, 2’ shorter is the current thinking.
For my own input, not mobile, but with levelers.
Drum sander outfeeds onto the other side, so same width.
Original table already uses a third piece of melamine for that extra 2 feet. It measures 10 feet and a couple inches, so am 8 foot table.

At the same time, we need to look at the sander. Can it be leveled without a platform, build a platform?

I think that we take on too many issues by stocking materials, though utilizing that space somehowwould be great.

A horizontal solution for breaking down large sheets of plywood with a track or circular saw prior to final dimension cuts on the table saw would be great. Rough MFT solution of dogs paired with a pull down track would be incredible. Would be better for one person jobs and hopefully lead to cleaner cuts than the panel saw on large sheet goods.

We have the MFT tables or even any of the standard 4x8’s that can word for what you’re describing. The track-saw is coming soon, and we’ll just need to acquire and maintain a piece (or pieces) of foam for support.

I would caution using the outfeed table as a track-saw station. It prevents folks from using the table saw while you’re breaking down material with the track-saw.

2 Likes

I think I’m going to store the table saw sleds under the out-feed table. Several of them need some infrastructure in order to keep them from bowing due to humidity.

Once the outfeed table is done maybe I can hire a small crew of volunteers to make us proper shelves for it.

2 Likes

I was there yesterday before class and was going to hang up that board, but now that cross-cutting is on the new saw it wouldn’t make much sense for the sleds to be over near the big saw

The wing on the new saw feels a bit wiggly now too, so I was thinking of a spot under there for the sleds that could reinforce the table at the same time?

1 Like

So I should be done with the frame of the new outfeed table very soon. It has 4’ sections that can be used for big ass drawers. Seeing as how several of these sleds are 3’ wide, that feels like a good landing pad for them. We’ll just need to make 4’x3’ drawers (probably out of steel/wood).

And I agree with you that the new saw needs some stabilization/effort. Perhaps we build a separate cabinet for other specialty jigs and accoutrements?

I’ve been thinking it would be fun to have a boneyard of all the triggers brakes+blades on display. As a signal that you actually need to be careful with what you’re cutting and how you’re cutting it.

4 Likes

Love all of this. Boneyard is a great idea and could be a really cool artistic reminder.

1 Like

I like the boneyard idea. Maybe we could also incorporate a sign with # of days since the last activation of the brake?

3 Likes

Fin. Mostly.

I still need to mount the casters because I’m still learning how to measure. But the casters/leveling feet will be installed soon.

Thanks for helping and collecting all the parts @cfstaley. @Allzman too for the muscle. And @JohnWickham and Eric for their help as well.

6 Likes

Not bad at all!

The boneyard idea sounds cool. Everyone who “contributes” could write on the blade what it was they did that tripped it. I’d like to read what-not-to-do’s from others.

4 Likes

I’m sure someone’s got this on their radar, but the new out feed needs miter channels for sleds, demonstrating using the crosscut sled tonight was a bit wonky

1 Like

I’ve kind of avoided it until we got the other saw working cause you kind of dictate where the saw sits based on them grooves.

No real reason to wait though.

Shaper Origin would make quick work of it.

1 Like

Made a few grooves.

7 Likes

groovy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Routical :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes