New Miter Saw ordered!

We have ordered a new miter saw that will be easier to operate and adjust than the current Bosch. It is scheduled for delivery next week.

LS1219L

12" Dual‑Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw with Laser

• Unique 2-Steel Rail Sliding System design offers single slide-glide operation; reduced saw footprint allows operation flush against a wall
  • Increased capacity for up to 8" crown molding (vertically nested), 6-3/4" baseboard (vertical), and 15" crosscuts at 90°
  • In-front bevel lock for convenient operation
  • Dual dust collection ports provide excellent dust extraction performance
  • Innovative direct drive motor and guard system is engineered for increased vertical cutting capacity (6-3/4")
  • Linear ball bearing system engineered to deliver “dead-on” accurate cuts
  • Powerful 15.0 AMP direct drive motor requires less maintenance and delivers 3,200 RPM
  • Large-sized aluminum base improves stability of material for efficient cutting
  • Soft start suppresses start-up reaction for smooth start-ups and longer gear life
6 Likes

Thank you, this is a massive upgrade! One of the biggest problems with the current Bosch, is it is constantly out of square—I wanted to use it last week and couldn’t because it was at least 3/8” out.

4 Likes

Are we going to keep the Bosch around for quick cuts or are we eliminating it?

1 Like

Hate to ruffle some feathers but it is up to the operator to make sure the blades or fences are squared. I may give you a pass for the jointer, but otherwise, dont blame the equipment. I used the mitersaw last night, took a minute to square the blade up and down, then to the fence. Made ten cuts all of them came out squared. Went to use the table saw, same thing took a minute to make sure the blade was squared (which wasn’t, was oflf a tad)to the table and made my cuts. The only reason im not commenting about a new mitersaw is because the current one is old and the motor or the brushes are about to go on it. But with the new one, same thing, you dont know what the operator before you did, so it would be wise to get familiar how to square the blade, fence, or both to meet your needs. Hopefully the jointer’s fence may have a solution soon. Remember is a maker space, even though the rule is to put the machine back to “normal” settings, not every body does. Dont expect the machines to be optimal for use, i sure dont.

3 Likes

Agree :100:.

I was an early advocate for the Bosch given my experience with it in furniture shops. I failed to mention our SOP of checking square on every machine we used prior to making our cuts. I still love that saw but now addendum my recommendation to include “you should always check square before making your cuts”

@JOSEGAYTAN

After you set the miter saw to 0 degrees, how did you square the blade to the back fence?

When I was in the shop last Friday I would have had to adjust the back fences to square the blade which I was advised in the Woodshop safety class we should defer to a someone more experienced.

Jose, I worked with that saw extensively. Getting it to cut square took an excessive amount of effort, and the position clamping/holding mechanism would not hold it square for long. I’m shocked (and honestly, dubious) that you got ten good cuts out of it.

Yes, users should check the squareness if it matters, but I found this saw had become essentially un-square-able. (It was not always so.)

1 Like

Do we have a root cause analysis? Like, did we wear out critical bushings already, or deform a clamping mechanism? Whether it was expected wear-and-tear or operator error?

Knowing how it failed beyond “we’re hard on tools” would be useful information I think.

3 Likes

Jose,
I don’t believe you’re ruffling any feathers by acknowledging we need to check and adjust as necessary. The issue I continue to have with the Bosch is that I cannot adjust the vertical alignment as it’s at the prefixed stops—I cannot rotate the head beyond the fixed 90 degree stop. Apparently you and a few others know how to change the stops, however I do not. Perhaps you can record the instructions and link them to the wiki page?

As Steve mentioned, the wood shop safety class instructs us not to adjust the machines—I’m not referring to basic usage as that’s normal. We each various levels of experience on the different equipment, but we must recognize that most users will not have the technical training or knowledge to make these levels of repair.

Ok, the machine supposed to have a mechanical stop at 90° which is not working for some reason. If you release the big red level on the left side then turn the round red knob on the right forward (towards the wall) it will release the function to turn the knob backwards which is the next step. So after you move the knob backwards youll be able to move the blade to the left or right so you can set it to 90° is a bit tricky it helps if you engage the clamp on the left a little so it doesnt move as freely and you can get a good square. When you get it squared, filly secure the left level/handle. Once you do that, when you make your cuts, don’t put too much pressure sideways going down, let the blade do the cut. If you put pressure sideways, you will move it out of square as the only thing holding it is the clamping pressure of the left handle. Sounds complicated but is rather easy once you do it right once. So once again, loosen left red handle, move right red knob forward then backwards abd the top will freely move left and right until you secure the left level/handle. In the rear of the machine there are two nuts the one that is off center is to adjust the pressure of the front left handle. The center one holds the top assy to the base. More than likely it can be fixed, if taken appart but like i mentioned the motor or the brushes are fixing to go out. If you use the saw for extended time youre going to hear the motor take a slight pause while rinning and if you look at the blade it looses velocity for thar milisecond. That is not normal. I have not bother to try to fix it becayse i was told a new one was on the way and at one point and time they did have a replacement. Has been six months or so in the process.

Sometime this week there is supposed to be a new fence for the jointer coming in. I am not sure if is a new style or just a replacement for the existing one. Laguna did not give me specifics. I do not have time to call them during business hours and the times i have tried they do not answer. Anyway, it has been a year long process and honestly im surprised they are sending that replacement, i had already given up on that. Anyway, if you see me in the shop, get my attention and ill show you how to square all basics on any machine, yes, even the jointer and the Bosch mitersaw.

2 Likes

Sorry i was not aware that some of this stuff is not covered in the safety/orientation class. To me is just basics and when i go to cut my stuff to a final dimension, you will always see me checking the square of the equipment that im using. Prior to that, if im gluing or just cutting long pieces into manageable lengths, i don’t care because all my dimensions are cut one inch longer and one inch wider which gives me the room to adjust down to the right dimension.

Thank you Jose for instructions!

Just an update on the Jointer’s fence saga. According to Laguna when they sent me the invoice it meant that the fence was put on order in their system and it really means that it has to be made and then shipped which takes up to two months. It did not mean immediate delivery. So the Jointer’s fence is back in limbo!

Is there an ETA on this being up and running?

It has made it to the shop as of today. Needs a steward to set it up and remove the Bosch. Should be operational by end of week at the latest. I am out of town for a couple of days and our lead steward is also indisposed for a bit.

2 Likes

Do we have an update estimate on when the saw will be operational yet?

Need to make instructional video for user training. Hoping this week.

2 Likes

Are there any updates on when this saw will be available? I have some 4” thick laminated boards I’m keen to cut to length. Unfortunately, this is the only saw that will cut that depth.

Shot training video footage and now editing.

2 Likes