I’m writing to inform that this morning while running a program a slug from an inner cutout from one of my parts got caught on the end mill and caused a burn on the spoil board. I stopped the program, removed my board (now scrap), check the movement of each axis, rehomed the machine and ran another program (different, very simple part). This other program ran completely okay and was dimensionally accurate. I’ve included detail below on the issue, cause and correction. If anyone has any other suggestions I’d love to hear them.
Issue: Circular slug from inside cutout on 3/4" pine caught on end mill causing error.
Cause: Inner slug tab was too thin (.25" x .125") and it broke away from the board.
Correction: Increase tab thickness back to .25" and remove inner cutout post CNC processing.
I’m not sure specifically how the slug was caught. It may have been flipped or caught another way. The dust collection guard prevented me from really seeing the movement of the slug but it was stopped after hearing an uncharacteristic loud noise.
I did not circle this with pen however if I should’ve please let me know. I will be back in the space tomorrow and can do that then. Pictures are attached showing the occurrence.