New Leather working tools area open!

The long awaited leather-working area is ready for use in the Textiles Shop. To get this area started, I have focused on getting larger tools that will make the process of working with leather faster, more consistent or more enjoyable. Our tools are:

Rivet and snap setter, with a 7mm rivet die, and a few snap setter dies. When using this machine, EASY does it. Err on the side of being gentle, and let the tool do the work

Important note on dies for the setter - if you need a specific size die for your work, BG standard dies are what will fit this machine. Links at the bottom of the machine page. As of right now, the shop does not expect to have a comprehensive set of dies.

Burnishing Machine - I VERY strongly recommend that you use safety glasses or a face shield when using the burnishing machine

Skiving Machine

Splitter

Tipping machine - to cut the edges and all the holes for a belt simultaneously. The handle and dies kept in the toolbox below the table

Edging and creasing system - Kept in the toolbox

Granite slab with poundo board - Kept on top of the toolbox - roll out for use. Or transfer over to the main worktable.

Shop Vac! Leather work produces a lot of debris, and it is very important this be cleaned up each and every time you finish working there. There is a silver shop vac in the textiles room. Make extensive use of it.

10 Likes

This is awesome Stephannie! Thank you for putting this together and making the leather area happen!

3 Likes

Thanks for making it happen! Looks great. Definitely a perfect choice for table robustness.

1 Like

Huge thanks for making this happen, @stepho :smiley:

In case you want to add a link to the tipping machine, I believe it’s this one: https://www.ivan.tw/products/craftplus-tipping-machine

1 Like

Added link! Thanks for that

1 Like

Yes it is!

1 Like