Mold making classes coming soon

Note: What is the process for getting a class up and on the calendar?

Here’s my class proposal for a series of mold making classes. There won’t be pre-requisites as each class will teach a different kind of mold making. Some of them are easier or harder than others so I will give a difficulty scale but feel free to join any of them as your first experience.

One Part Cut Mold Difficulty: Easy
The most basic kind of mold, great for small objects like figures, statues, candle holders, and other things with flat bottoms and details all around. Topics covered will include types of silicone, preparing items for mold making, building a mold box, mixing, degassing, and pouring silicone, and cutting/demolding the item. You will leave with a silicone mold of an object which you can cast on your own or bring to a casting class to learn to make resin copies. This class will be completed in one session.

Two Part Cap Mold Difficulty: Moderate
This type of mold has two parts that fit together when casting to capture details on every side of an object, such as a die. Additional topics you’ll learn in this class include registration/keys to fit the mold back together and mold release agents. This is a two day class to allow time for the first half to cure.

Brush On Mold with Plaster Bandage Mother Mold Difficulty: Moderate-advanced
This type of mold is used on large objects in order to save on expensive silicone. Several thin coats of silicone are brushed onto an object, then a plaster bandage outer layer is created to provide strength and structure to the mold. Topics covered will include silicone viscosity and additives, coloring silicone, working with plaster bandages.

Life Casting with Alginate Difficulty: Easy
Make a one time use mold of your hand or foot. Alginate is the material used to mold your teeth at the dentist. We will do a plaster casting of your body part for you to take home. This technique is great for quick molds of body parts you only need to get one copy of.

Life Casting with Silicone and Plaster Bandages Difficulty: Advanced
Similar to the brush on class except using body safe materials and on a living model. This class will require groups of 2 at least, one person to be the model and one person to apply material. The result of this class will be a mold you can use many times to make multiple copies of a body part. We will do a plaster casting of your mold, so you will leave with a mold and your first casting.

Plaster Slip Casting Mold Difficulty: Moderate-Advanced
This is a technique I am still learning. Plaster molds are rigid unlike silicone, so they often require multiple parts. Plaster is also very heavy, so a stronger mold box is required. The benefit of a plaster mold is that it absorbs water, which facilitates the thickening of liquid clay (slip) and the curing of casting latex.

Prices will vary on these classes and more information will be available once I know how much of the materials will be covered by the class fees vs by the space.

5 Likes

These look awesome @HannaKessler! You’ll want to email @David our Director of Education to get onboarded to teach and set these up. There’s also this wiki page that gives some more details about teaching at Asmbly if you haven’t seen that already – Teaching at Asmbly - Asmbly Wiki

3 Likes

I would absolutely take a slip cast mold making course.

I would as well! I saw a video recently that piqued my interest