Been working on this thing since august in tiny spurts and I’m happy to finally have it done so we can use it
@dingusfarms had a project with some leftover mahogany trim of different flavors and we needed a coffee table, so this was the result
I glued a panel with the lighter mahogany and a strip of poplar for an accent. The boards were so twisty and warped I had to use a ton of dowels to get them all lined up. 109 dowel holes were enough to tell me I never want to use a dowel again in my life.
Once that was done I flattened and cut the shape on the swift. I got tons of burning despite running what I thought was a pretty aggressive federate. But I was using one of the older surfacing bits which was probably pretty dirty.
The base used a darker mahogany that I laminated together and milled blanks out of. Again these were all pretty twisty so I had to get creative when clamping these together. The domino was brought in on the legs and I probably went overboard with it, but it worked out and it was still easier than dowels. I also used the domino to cut slots for z clips, which is how I attached the top.
The whole thing was finished in Rubio plus 2c in pure, and man did that really make the base pop.
Mistakes were made, I screwed up my order of operations on rounding over the base, so that middle intersection isn’t how I wanted, but I think it still looks cool. Since I had to use so many dowels, I ended up cutting into some when I cut out the shape, so they can be seen on the edge. When making the holes for z clips I initially cut them too close to the top so I had to come back and make new ones.
Now I want to replace all our furniture!