Metal Shop Safety Recertifications

Hello everyone. As we recently announced, the metal shop has added a new safety class requirement for all new and most existing members. Experienced metal shop users may instead seek recertification with me through a short process.(Metal shop stewards: I will be in touch with you directly.)

The Metal Shop Safety Class covers the basic metal shop equipment, including the horizontal and vertical bandsaws, the chop saws, the angle grinders, the belt sander and bench grinders, and the drill press. A rough guideline: people who have experience with and are comfortable with all but one or two of these tools can seek recertification; if you lack experience with three or more of the listed tools, you should probably elect to take the class instead.

I had intended to immediately announce times I would be available to do recertifications, but I’ve picked up a job that will keep me away from Asmbly for about a week, so I cannot do that yet. We do have eight weeks to work with, and I do have other stewards who can perform them if needed.

However, before I schedule them instead, it would be helpful to know how many people intend to seek recertification instead of taking the MSS class. If you plan to take this route, please respond here, please send me a message here, or email me at ethan.moore@asmbly.org. Thanks!

I’d like to do recertification.

1 Like

Looking at recertification also

1 Like

Me too

1 Like

I’m planning on recertification

1 Like