Metal Shop Power, Metal Shop Tasks

The main power runs to the metal shop are complete.

This includes three 208 V outlets for the welding area and a number of 120 V outlets, both dedicated and general. I also ran power circuits to the fiber laser and to an auxiliary of the compressor.

There are also two power runs up to ceiling circuits. There will eventually be some additional power drops from the ceiling, but the exact details for them are still up in the air (so to speak), and some other tasks have to be completed first.

This did turn out to be a monumental task. Many people made a point to give me their thanks, which is much appreciated.

But I obviously cannot continue that level of effort. Electrical work is difficult to delegate, but Iā€™ve got a list of other things to be done which can be. Look for a bunch of posts in the ā€œVolunteers Neededā€ section soon.

And, it is said that ā€œThe reward for work well done is more work.ā€ Charlie has asked me to be the lead steward for the metal shop. Iā€™ve been uncertain about accepting, but I will commit to this: I will see that this metal shop overhaul is pushed to its completion. I view this mainly as adding additional tasks to the volunteer projects list I mentioned, and making ā€œofficialā€ the persuasion (i.e., bullying) I will do to get them done.

8 Likes

@mgmoore A HUGE thank you to you. To anyone who helped Ethan out, a big thank you to you too!

This started the August Work Day. By the end of the day, it became a much larger job that required more time. And then the CNC happened, the fiber laser moved,and the full scope of the metal shop layout unfolded. Throw in a couple or ten other changes. Two months later, you are finishing up a monumental re-wire of the shop. All of these changes would be much bigger headaches without this major electrical upgrade. And they would drag out for many more months.

Thanks again, Ethan!

4 Likes

Agreed, I was poking around yesterday and this is a really nice upgrade. I felt like a total jerk when I rolled in as you were putting all your tools away and was like ā€œTormach needs 110 broā€. Iā€™ll check the volunteers posts for metal shop work and see how I can help.

4 Likes

No worries. Iā€™m glad I know about it now. I think Jonā€™s plan called for bringing the 120 V for the Tormach ancillaries from overhead, which is why it hadnā€™t been addressed yet. In the meantime, I know what the odd extension cord lying near there was for; Iā€™ll find a safe way to route that until we can add a permanent run.

3 Likes

I will add that the broad vision for the metal shopā€™s future is still @Jonā€˜s. Iā€™ll just try to get the details filled in and done.

2 Likes

Thank you for all the work. Iā€™ll check the volunteer tasks.

1 Like

Much love. Thank you.

Fwiw, I expected there to be outlets on the (new) bench behind the Tormach, which could be wired laterally to the green loft. The drawing is a little lacking on z- resolution :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got to join the thank you train to Ethan. Im not too much into the metal shop but one day last week as I was leaving (early in the morning) Ethan was getting there talking about electrical plans. I came back later around 8 p.m. and found him leaning against a table half asleep. I was going to go and tell him to go home and have some rest but as I gave a step towards him he got going putting away his boxes still mumbling about electrical stuff. This kind of dedication is admirable! Kudos and thank you for all you do! Same goes to James, and the two persons (donā€™t know their names) working hard on the fiber laser. They have put alot of hours into the projects.

6 Likes

I ran that extension cord for the Tormach tonight.

1 Like

I donā€™t recall being half asleep. Probably just tired and mentally focused elsewhere. But I did put in two absurdly long days last week trying to push to finish everything. Thank you, and Iā€™m taking a break now, I promise!

2 Likes

Thank you Ethan

I appreciate your efforts to bring desperately needed power upgrades.

Peace, Wolf

1 Like