Metal lathe overhaul and maintenance

I like that this lathe has a reverse in the headstock. You can thread away from the chuck. Much more relaxing.

How did the lathe feel for the class?

It worked great. Thanks for your hard work

I made a new chuck key for the 3-jaw. Fit is a little better but not awesome. Beginner project.

I also put an aluminum end on the tailstock locking lever. Having a steel handle drop down on the ways seemed not great. I bunged the threads on the handle where it screws into the cam rod. It is secure but getting that right will be another part of the project for me.

1 Like

I’m thinking to get some more tool holders but would rather work with the BXA size. I already have some larger shank tools.
@JoeN, is there a BXA toolpost around? That would also allow removal of the spacer under the toolpost. Is there a 4-jaw available? Dead center for the head?

I have a 4 jaw. It needs a mounting system. I will post pics when I get back.

Is the BXA mount taller?

The BXA is 1/4" taller. There is currently a square, free spinning spacer under the toolpost to get the ‘B’ height taller (See chart).

It uses larger holders that can hold 1/4" to 5/8" shanks. An extra-large tool holder will hold a 3/4" tool. A 20mm shank would have to be shaved down. I have one of these honkin’ tools that was sent by mistake, mislabeled on Amazon.

I also have a large round chunk to make a backing plate.

8" 4 jaw

10" 4 jaw