Metal Lathe Maintenance

Hi guys, the fit and function test is a pass. Here are some pictures of approximately what the design will look like when made of metal and welded out.

Front:

Back:

Angle 1:

Angle 2:

Angle 3:

Angle 4:

I’m going to leave the cardboard mock-up on and if you guys are interested yall can go check it out and try moving the lathe around and see if there is anywhere that needs attention and re-design. If there is not feedback by about 3 PM tomorrow I’ll go ahead and start cutting up metal to fabricate the current design.

5 Likes

Impressive design and prototype @Andres79, love to see the improvements being done

4 Likes

I definitely like the bump out. I have run into the back of my lathe on occasion. I wish mine had more thought put into the design.

1 Like

The tank sealant and coolant have arrived. I applied acetone once this morning.

@Andres79 It looks even better in person. I left my metal cutting circular under the machine shop table for you. I was thinking about how the welding would go. I think just do the tack welds on the backside every inch. We will silicone the seam on the front and paint it. Maybe stencil in the ASMBLY logo

2 Likes

This thread is fascinating. Thanks to everyone for their work, and also for sharing all the steps here. I appreciate knowing much more of the detail on how something gets repaired and maintained

4 Likes

:meow_wow: This is amazing! Thanks for all the effort, everyone! :mario_star:

1 Like

Y’all are making me want to help. Has anyone gotten a chance to look at the power feed? I can start troubleshooting and researching it if that task hasn’t been started.

1 Like

We tried turning powerfeed/powerthreading on. When it is not powered. I am able to engage the powerfeed. When it is under power. It disengages for some reason. @mgmoore and did some troubleshooting. Such as adjusting the cam distance that engages the powerfeed or powerthreading. The powerfeed and powerthreading doesn’t work. I haven’t had a chance to read the manual very far in that subject. When you get a chance please take a look.

For what it’s worth, I have gotten the powerfeed to work on our lathe in the past. Granted it was months ago, and lots could have changed by then, but it’s worked before. A little finicky, but hopefully an easy solution if it’s broken now.

2 Likes

Thank you for the info. I’m glad it could be an easy fix

I’m very impressed with the mock up as well, but I’m concerned that the bump out may conflict with the base of the shield/hood. @JoeN I really think we need to see that before he commits to making anything,

Good point. I will come take a look today. I think can resolve any issues if it is already welded.

The rust treatment has been applied and is drying. The tank sealant will get applied this week. Please refrain from using oil or coolant. I placed some towels over the reservoir to keep oil out of the reservoir.

I didn’t get a chance to look at the cardboard and shield together. I’m confident it will work or was make a small mod or two.

1 Like

Hi all, here is some updated on the sheet metal backer:

Backside:

RHS:

LHS:

I am currently need at least 4’x’4 of 14 gauge steel sheet. If anyone has some scrap that you would like to donate for this project I’d really appreciate it. Thank you.

2 Likes

I have some smaller pieces. Will that work?

Nice work!

@JoeN I misplaced some stock and re-discovered it two days ago so I’m good for the most part… to finish the design I probably will need more material however. Also we will need to see how the lathe guard will fit and how the sheet metal backer will interfere with its range of motion. Here is my progress on the sheet metal backer so far.

Back:

Front:

For now I will clean up what we have built up for the backer to get ready for paint.

2 Likes

That looks great. I’m not able to do anything this week. I’m headed out of town this week. I will be free next week and want finish the reservoir and install the shield

@Andres79 The backstop looks even better in person. I now have time to work on the reservoir. That will be completed this weekend.

1 Like

Yes, it looks amazing.

I haven’t had time to do any of the things I promised to, but I also should finally be able to soon.

1 Like

@mgmoore Allergies slowed me down this weekend. I’m finally taking some allergy meds. I’m going to finish the reservoir this week. Take your time. Thank you every one for helping. I would like to complete every task by the end of May.

-Reservoir repair
-Install polycarb shield
-Fix the powerfeed/threading (might need to mod the back shield)
-Make a backplate for the 4 jaw chuck
-Make an organization system for the tool tray

2 Likes