Metal Lathe Issue and fixes

The set screw for the metal lathe came off during the metal lathe class. We repaired it. The motion to turn on the metal is a bit stiffer. It is fixed.

The 3 jaw has runout of 6 thou. We tried unscrolling the jaws and cleaning. It did not solve the issue. I have a theory that the jaws were removed at one point and reinstalled in a different location from the original slot. I am bringing a metal stamp set to arbitrarily number the jaw slots on the chuck. Once we figure out which jaws work best in which slot. The jaws will be numbered the same. I will go ahead and stamp the chuck this week. If a metal lathe person who has the time to chase the jaw slot matrix please do so. Let me know when we have almost no runout and I will stamp the jaws as well.

I just found out the this chuck has numbering already done. I will see if cleaning will solve the issue. Thanks @fixinit

4 Likes

Did anyone have a chance to look at the collet chuck? I measured a runout of ~0.008" when I tried to use it. Eric was there and tried to adjust the cams but it didn’t seem to help.

Dave Henderson

I checked the body of the 3 jaw with @mgmoore we found that the body was out by about 1/2 a thou. I didn’t know the collet chuck was out as well.

We checked the 3 jaw chuck and found it has runout. We tried cleaning and reinstalling. It did not fix the problem. The thought was to look for a tool post grinder to make it concentric again or replace it. We voted with replacement. It doesn’t mean a tool post grinder is a hard no. It is might be a future thing. The new chuck will be here early this month. I can’t imagine our delivery person liking us for receiving a chunk of metal.

If you use the 3 jaw please be aware that it will be about 6 thou out.

The new Shars 3 jaw chuck has been installed. It has much less runout than the original 3 jaw. The old jaws developed runout at some point recently. We will take the old jaws apart during the workday and see if it fixable. The new jaws have about 2 thou of runout. Happy machining!

1 Like