Metal Lathe Cleaning

Now that the metal lathe is at its new home in a lesser wood dust area, it needs a thorough cleaning. I’ll put some appropriate cleaners out, but even wet paper towels could achieve a great deal. Every exposed bit has wood dust or oil on it that needs cleaning. Leave the ways (the horizontal slides that the tool carriage travels on) for a steward to clean, as they will need re-oiling too, but cleaning any other part will help.

(An advanced task would be draining and rinsing the cutting fluid reservoir. The wood dust contamination provided a base for gunk to grow; it was bad enough to jam the pump, so it definitely needs a change out. But cleaning even a bit of an exposed surface would be a help.)

1 Like

I haven’t looked very long at the filter system for the pump. I see that there is a large screen. Is there a finer screen to catch smaller chips? The sawdust is probably the main factor for stopping the pump.

When I disassembled the pump from the lathe. The paint on the pump was peeling off. I will bring a transfer pump to clear the sump.