Maker Competition - Plant Edition 🪴

Spring has sprung and we’re hosting a Maker Competition to spruce up the lobby! Build a hanging planter for the lobby window to enter for a chance to win a free Asmbly class of your choosing :awesome:

Details:

• Visit Asmbly April 8-15 to choose your inspiration plant (we will provide plants/pots).
  • Make something beautiful to hold your plant!
  • Hang your creation on the lobby window by May 13th.
  • Voting will be open to all members via online poll May 13-20.
  • The most popular design wins a free Asmbly class of their choosing!

Entry rules:

• Must be made using tools at Asmbly (wood shop, metal shop, lasers, 3D printing, textiles … electronics?! All fair game!)
  • Must be able to hang and support your plant securely (there’s lots of traffic through the lobby)
  • Can hold between 1-4 plants (choose your plant/pots from the plants provided)
  • You may repot your plant directly into your creation (please check in with @Mollie to make sure the plant you’ve chosen will be happy living in your design)

Questions? Ask here!

4 Likes

Does this mean only tools as asmbly can be used, or that it must include elements made at asmbly?

Must include at least some tools/elements from Asmbly. We should be able to point to it and say “that aspect/feature/etc can be made using xyz tool in xyz shop area.”

Cool. I was thinking of making a pot and firing it in my kiln, but I can definitely use asmbly tools to make the hanging part of it and for surface details

That sounds awesome, do it!

I’m getting all of the plants potted this week and will bring them to the space Friday evening. We have some really cool plants coming to live at Asmbly!

2 Likes

I’m so excited for this! Love a good challenge :+1:

2 Likes

Plants are ready!!

Come by Asmbly and pick the plant you want to make a creation for! The hanging planter system is installed in the lobby so you can see how/where they will be hung up. We will get more chain to layer the heights.

If you have a brown thumb, use a claim tag to claim your plant and leave it at Asmbly where it will be cared for. If you are an experienced plant parent you are welcome to take it home while you work on your design.

3 Likes

What an awesome collection of plants!! This is going to be so fun. I’m excited to see what people make :awesome:

There are still more plants unclaimed for this competition! Great opportunity to make something cool and potentially win a free class of your choosing (no limits on value!) :meow_wow:

1 Like

@Mollie - would it be alright to repot the plant directly into an acrylic enclosure?

Yes! Make sure the acrylic is sealed with a waterproof caulk in any seams so water doesn’t leak.

2 Likes

I designed a 3d printer planter that hangs on the wall. Is that an option here, or does it have to hang?

Oooo, sounds cool! We’ve got wall space in there, we can allow that.

2 Likes

@elizabeth forgot to mention to bring the plastic planter back to the space if you don’t use it in your design.

2 Likes

Cool! Will do.

The oxalis is blooming so it’s definitely happy in the window!

5 Likes

Yay!! I was super happy to see new growth in almost all of the plants the other day.

1 Like

@DirtHurt Valerie mentioned someone was asking about the non variegated spider plant. Was that you?

This is him! I just emailed him this morning about your response :slight_smile:

1 Like