Maintenance Schedule -- Please help correct

Recent events have shown the importance of organizing a list of maintenance tasks and timing. This information is trapped in the manuals for the machines and in the heads of the process-averse people who spend their time building and fixing machines. Please help correct and add to this list.

Jon Eklund has placed links to all of the tool manuals on the wiki, so anyone reading this regardless of skill level can contribute to this project.

How often should these things happen?

Table Saw:

• clear sawdust
  • Check blade for wear and sharpness
  • check blade fence and bed alignment
  • lubricate
  • etc.

Bandsaws:

• Clear debris
  • check blade
  • check alignment
  • lubricate
  • etc.

Laser:

• Wipe rails
  • Run test patterns in /public/LaserAwesomeness to check performance
  • Run maintenance from manual
  • Any filters that need exchaning for air assist?

AC:

• Change filter
  • Anything else?

Fire safety:

• ??

Equipment:

• Run a list of supplies and consumable parts to see what needs ordering
  • Test fire each power tool

If folks reply to this thread we can periodically condense into standard document.

1 Like

The sawstop manual unfortunately doesn’t say much in terms of preventative maintenance, especially about timeframes. See page 70 in the linked manual.

Essentially it says periodically clean and lubricate the elevation and tilt mechanisms, inspect/replace the belts if necessary, and vacuum out the cabinet every once in a while. Also inspect the brake cartridge after 50 hours of saw use.

Here is the maintenance schedule recommended in the Red Laser Manual

1 Like

Lubrication of the Saw Stop is not too often needed or required. I used one on a daily basis, probably ran a couple of hundred board feet per month plus a myriad of miscellaneous cuts on a daily basis. I only had to lubricate the machine about once a year. Dust collection is essential for the better operation of this machine. Brings up the brake cartridge, is supposed to be checked for dust built up and also the gap between the blade to the shoe cartridge (the silver part with holes). There should be a yellow triangle plastic thing somewhere on the side with an Allen wrench inserted in it. The Allen wrench is used to calibrate the screw (yellow set screw as you look down behind the blade, it moves the cartridge in or out) and the tip of the yellow tool is the gauge or the proper distance between the blade and the cartridge. Check at the top of the cartridge and at the bottom. If you cannot find the yeller thingmagacally, you can use a nickel (saw stop calls it the nickel check). This distance determines the sensitivity of the cartridge activation. I did however every chance I had or at least once a month vacuum the dust built up inside the cabinet. If you use compressed air you have to avoid the lubrication points as you can blow away the grease and residual oil that the gears/bearings need to operate smoothly. Anytime you do any maintenance in the cabinet you have to ensure all the access panels and doors are closed or set properly for the saw to operate. If you ever get a green light, then when you turn on the machine you get a blinking green light with a solid red light (the legend on the side of the switch tells you to look it up in the manual) you have to check all the access panels or doors, one of them is probably the culprit. I do not live in Austin or I would be more than happy to maintain the machines in the woodshop. I also don’t get too much free time, sometimes I take vacation just to immerse in my woodworking projects.