Machine Shop Cabinet Cleaned

I went through everything remaining in the tall cabinet in the machine shop. Everything that I couldn’t identify went into a big box, as did everything I could identify that didn’t seem machine/metal shop specific (e.g., a can of yellow spray paint). I was overzealous by intent, because this is not (yet) a junk/disposal box. I would suggest that everyone who has invested effort in the machine shop and/or has knowledge of the area take a good look through the box. Anything that we should keep that isn’t machine shop specific should be moved to an appropriate location elsewhere. Anything we should keep that is specific to the machine shop should be placed in the drawer of the Husky table opposite the RonFu mill, and I will find a storage place for it. The box is on the floor right in the middle of the machine shop subarea; you can’t miss it.

I cleaned the cabinet thoroughly; it took a strong cleaner and two-thirds of a roll of the big shop paper towels to get all of the oil and grime off. And I then reloaded it with the items that had been in there that I kept (not many, though there were definitely a couple of good finds), plus a bunch of new items that were appropriate, particularly a bunch of the large accessories for the new lathe. The internal organization is still to be determined; I think we are going to want to get or make appropriate supports or even cases for some of those items (e.g., the small lathe jaws and the new rotary vise for the mill).

4 Likes