Looking for advice on a loft bed design

Hi, I’m working on a loft bed design and wanted to get some input from those more experienced than me. I have the following work-in-progress design:

My question is that if it looks like the lower structure and the corner braces provide enough racking resistance with this design.

Some key dimensions if it helps:

• Total dimensions 86in x 54in x 96in (height)
  • Floor to bottom of bed platform 6ft
  • Posts will be 3" x 3" exactly (I have only 86"-ish of space to work with where this is being placed)

I considered an X brace on the back but where I intend to place it that would block my breaker box (weird studio apartment things).

I can compromise a bit on the under-platform height to about 68" (I want to be able to stand underneath it) but not sure how much of a difference 4" makes.

I don’t see a lot of loft beds with this much under platform clearance without being bolted into the wall, but that may also be because of ceiling heights. I have very tall ceilings at my place and want to take advantage of that. I figured that if that ever changes I can just cut the posts a bit.

Thanks in advance, would appreciate any and all input.

Loks rather sturdy and hefty to me. I dont see a need for the 45’s braces as long as the frame of the back are 2 inches or so which you need to either bolt it together or tongue and groove it. Dont over think it, just look around the available bunks and the construction is not as good as this one. Unless is a very heavy person using the loft, you should be ok.

There can be a great deal of torque on the front of the bed when climbing in, which is why they are often bolted to the wall. I don’t see any 45 deg bracing in the width direction. If you are not going to use 45 deg bracing, then you really want a secure method of attaching the frame to the legs. Many beds use a metal frame hook of some sort that connects to a steel frame in the post.

This design always intrigued me; perhaps it has ideas for you to borrow.

Another take, the ladder adds hidden lateral support.

You can modify the drawers and make it a desk/table by the ladder.

In looking at this again, you don’t need the 45deg supports as long as your joints are all secure. The plywood at each end provides the proper support.

Thank you everyone for your feedback! What I’ve gathered here is that I’ll leave out the 45 degree braces and if there is some undesired flex when climbing in or shifting around I can add those to alleviate the issue. Also I do hope to use hooking bed hangers and maybe some extra screws as a “just in case” @Snestle Those intimidate me a little but I hope to make this break down into easier to move components should I move again.

@TravisGood That design is really cute! Thanks for sharing that I actually haven’t seen someone do that in all my research, it’s usually 4x4s or L shaped legs.

@JOSEGAYTAN Normally yeah that’s a good point, but I wanted do do a removable ladder to maximize my available space because of space constraints where I intend to place. Also I’ve done the desk under a loft bed and it just never worked for me, too dim haha. Putting my small loveseat couch underneath in the gap so hopefully that’s a bit more cozy.

Leave it to a CNC enthusiast to have a ply-sheet, slot assembly bias. :innocent: