Looking for a 3D scanner

Hello! I am new to the 3D printing world. I have had friends in the past year make and print models for me so I can make plaster molds of them and then use those to make my ceramics. It has worked out really well so far and I am looking forward to taking the 3D printing class at Asmbly and hopefully learning the software myself over the summer. Currently someone is looking to commission something very specific from me that is based on an antique piece. Rather than trying to plaster cast the original and risk damaging it further, it occured to me I could possibly 3D scan it and then print a copy to make the mold from. Do any members here have experience doing this? Have a place they would recommend to go? Perhaps have a scanner at their job or even at their home?! I would really appreciate the help/advice and hope this leads me to some 3D printing savvy community members I can befriend :slight_smile: Currently I just hangout in the woodshop :hammer:

I just saw the “similar topics” bar and see that @bwatt made a scanner?? Did you ever bring it to Asmbly? My piece is small about 2x3 inches and maybe a half inch tall. I can upload a reference picture soon. Please dm me or message me here!

I don’t have a lead on a commercial ‘real’ scanner, but I have used a couple iPhone apps that do an ok job. Perhaps you can try that sort of thing to see what results you might get. If you have one of the ‘Pro’ models they can use the LiDAR sensors in your phone, otherwise they just use photogrammetry to construct a replica. Try Polycam or Scaniverse or MagiScan

How detailed is the piece? Is it intricately carved, or just a flat surface? Can it be modeled instead of scanned?

Alternatively, it could be easier and less risky to first make a silicone mold of it, then a resin cast, then plaster mold of the resin. That way you don’t need to plaster mold directly, and potentially destroy it/the mold by removing it.

But I’d be interested in how your scan turns out, so good luck!

I would check with @WilliamH. He might be able to help.

1 Like

Thank you!

I sent you a direct message about my scanner and helping. Please post a picture of your item. It would also help.

1 Like

Years ago I built an OpenScan. At the time it was only OK but it’s only continued to improve. It’s quite inexpensive and it has a growing community. @bwatt has one and is scanning miniatures for @tomthm You can learn more here:

Just be aware, you’ll have to put in an effort … but that shouldn’t be a problem for any maker-at-heart.

2 Likes

This is a topic near and dear to my heart. I have a background in metal casting. I worked as the lab instructor for the metal casting foundry at Texas State University and I continue to remain in touch with them. Occasionally taking tours if people are interested. And attending their senior design days in the spring and fall.

I’ve worked at a 3D printing company and am wanting a low-cost high quality handheld 3D scanner. I own a little 3D printer an Ender 3.

I’m taking the resin class on May 13th So that I can do some lost wax casting. I have quite a few ideas regarding laser scanning metal casting, robotics and automation.

Anyone is welcome to to send me a direct message and I will give you all my contact information. You can also find me on LinkedIn.

R. D. Childers

1 Like

Welcome to the world of 3D printing! Lots of resources and knowledge here at the Asmbly.

Sounds like you’re getting a lot of help already, but I still want to throw this out just in case. I have a EinScan SE at home that would be perfect to scan models of your size. It’s fast with fairly decent result.

2 Likes

I’d love to check out the metal foundry the next time you’re hosting the tour :smiley:

2 Likes

I will ping you next time I go.

2 Likes

Awesome! Thank you.

+1 on Polycam, for what it’s worth. I used the photogrammetry setting extensively on a large outdoor sculpture, to make 3d models of the metal frame in order to get a more precise fit on the acrylic panels that I laser cut at Asmbly. It was well worth the yearly fee for unlimited uploads – great results and quick turnaround. Some advice if you go that route:

1. Limit the amount of background to what you’re scanning – if you can do it in a room with bare walls or even put some solid colored panels around it, the software will be less likely to pick up artifacts of the environment. This might not be as essential for a small, solid item but for things with holes in them it definitely helps.
  2. If you need the sizing to be precise as I did, put a ruler next to the item you’re scanning. That way the ruler will be part of the generated model, and you can resize it in your software to be correct – Polycam would usually be close, but not 100% accurate to reality.
  3. Take your time, start with a pan around the whole object that keeps it all in the frame, and then get some closeups. Make sure you get it from all angles!
  4. I always used the “raw” detail level when uploading as it seemed to get the closest to the actual shapes in the real object.

If you end up using it and have any issues gimme a shout!