Lathe Dividing head

I haven’t seen one around, but wanted to see if we had (or had on order) a dividing head for the new lathe.

I don’t believe we have one

I’m new around here…how does a dividing head on a lathe help? I thought this was more of a mill focused tool…

I have seen a cnc dividing head on Clickspring’s channel, but he attached his mill head to the lathe to cut gears for that clock.

Please educate me.

It would be for the vertical mill.

1 Like

:+1:

Thanks!

I believe the new rotary vise for the manual mill has dividing plates. I haven’t completely unpacked that yet.

If you need any help unpacking, let me know :grin:.

They also make them for lathes, but much less common and more of a pain… I didn’t realize that ASMBLY may not have one for the mill

The rotary table for the mill does have a set of dividing plates. We don’t have a dedicated dividing head.

Hi Ethan, for my current project I am needing to use the rotary vise on the manual mill and I wanted to know if you or anyone else knew the the brand and part number to this rotary vise as I’d like to see if I can find a collect system for it to chuck up some turned down aluminum rod. I’m actually not even sure if this is the standard procedure for work holding round parts in a rotary vise for the manual mill I’m going completely off of my intuition. If there is a better way to work hold round rod like parts in our rotary vise please let me know! Thank you.

P.s - this is a picture of the rotary vise and the work im trying to hold.

I found a dead center who’s packaging says 2MT on it that fits in the tapered hole of the rotary table Im not sure if this is a perfec fit but it feels like it is and I just wanted to share with you more pictures of what I’m trying to do with the rotary table.

I’m thinking I need a collet with a taper that will fit inside of the center hole of the rotary table and that I will be able to tighten down on my work from the back (maybe the collet im looking for is threaded)

Do you or anyone else that does metal work know if there are collets that will fit this rotary table?

The rotary table is a Grizzly H7527

Do they exist? yes. Do we have any, no. We did buy a 3-jaw chuck for that rotary table but we needed to fabricate a mounting plate that attaches to the t-slots; I’m not sure if that’s been done yet.

The center hole is a morse taper, so small pieces could be held in a drill chuck or a baby 3-jaw with a matching taper. It appears MT2 ER collet chucks are also are generally available. That kind of setup would be good for indexing but I’m not sure I’d trust it if if you’re putting much torque on the workpiece.

I’m pretty sure our 5C chuck has an integral D6 mount, so it wouldn’t be readily adaptable to the rotary table.

Jon has told you more than I could have. I do know the manual for the rotary table is in the same cabinet, right near it.