Lathe chuck alignment

I have been using four-jaw chuck on the lathe but have been having a hard time aligning it. With the gear disengaged and manually turning the chuck and using a dial indicator I’m able to get the work piece aligned to less than 0.001". But as soon as I engage the gearing an start the spindle the dial indicator starts swinging +/- 0.003". The chuck cams are tight and this is a new lathe so am I missing something?

Did you check for runout on the spindle nose?

No, I didn’t. But how would that be different between powered and unpowered turning?

I don’t know - but I don’t know why it’d be different in the chuck either. Just asking because I’m much more worried about a lathe problem than a chuck problem.

Speaking of which, are you using the big or little 4-jaw?

The 8" chuck - I didn’t know there was a smaller one.

Heh, the 8" chuck IS the little one…

(I don’t have any insights on this problem.)

1 Like

I have lathe time reserved on Thursday so I will look into it more then if I have time - and no one else has checked the spindle before then.

1 Like

I forgot to mention this as well. I noticed this during the metal lathe class. I was using the 3 jaw chuck

sounds like we need to adjust the spindle bearings? not enough preload or something to that effect?

I tested the spindle nose on the face and in the taper. The dial indicator doen’t show any error. I can’t measure run out because I can’t find shaft which fits into the #4-#6 taper adapter.
Anyway, I was trying to use the collet chuck but can’t seem to find a key which fits it. Anyone know where it is kept? Also, do we have a C5 collet stop for the lathe?

The collet chuck key should be around, likely in the tool chest behind the lathe somewhere. I don’t think we have a stop for it.

1 Like

What are you trying to chuck on, and how much do you think it weighs? Pics might help.

Alex

I found the key in the cabinet.
The part I’m making is small and I use a 1/2" collet to hold it. I mounted the collet chuck and was going to use it but I found that it was wobbling by 0.008" at the nose. Eric was there and tried adjusting the cam lock studs - one was 0.016" higher than the others!. I didn’t have time to try it but I bet its a lot better now.