The Juki is an awesome machine, so as we all start using it more it’s critically important that we lubricate it regularly and correctly. Here are some tips and info to help out.
- plan to lubricate before and after you use the machine
- only use the clear sewing machine oil, it won’t stain most fabrics
- add at least a couple of drops to each of the ports with red paint (see the video below for more detailed description)
- plan to wipe down the surfaces your textiles/leather will touch and consider running the machine on some scrap fabric to ensure oil isn’t dripping on your fabric.
You get extra karma for treating the machine like it’s yours and spending a couple extra minutes on it! Try this:
- with the machine turned off, carefully tilt the machine back (it’s heavy), and rest it on the table.
- add a drop or two of sewing machine oil to every metal to metal part
- wipe down excess oil or soiled areas with paper towel or rag with an eye toward cleaning it up inside
- flip the machine back and repeat the process on the mechanisms under the front cover
- don’t forget to give the mechanisms at the rear of the machine some love too!
- don’t forget the bobbin area!
watch the video:
This whole video is great but of particular interest is his description of what needs to be lubricated and when. The video also covers winding the bobbin, threading the machine, and other topics to safely use the machine.