"Janus" (a sculpture)

This one kinda popped into my head with zero context so let’s call it art:

The two faces are maple, turned and slightly domed on the lathe. I then dyed one face using India ink and carved it using a few different Kutzall burrs mounted on a Dremel, exposing the underlying maple. The other face was first carved and then dyed to get the reverse look. They sandwich a smaller disc and the surrounding LED strip, which is powered by a battery pack hidden in the plywood base (painted to look vaguely concrete-ish).

I’ll try to post a video of the technique eventually. Video editing is sometimes more time-consuming than making the physical item.

4 Likes

Lovely! Cool concept and nice execution.

1 Like

Great to see how it all turned out. I was curious when I saw you working on it in the shop the other day. Looks great!

1 Like

Ah, I saw you working on this in the shop the other day, it turned out so cool! Thanks for sharing! Also, are you on instagram? We’d love to follow you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you all for the kind words :slight_smile:

@valerie, I’m not but probably should be given that I have a handful of videos I’d like to start sharing with the world. I’ll get it lined up and drop you a line and follow on IG.

2 Likes

It took me… yikes, three months but I finally have the build video up :smiley:

If you watch it, do let me know what I can do to improve on the presentation.

2 Likes