Indicators, Vacuum Pole, Mill Quill Handles

Three unrelated machine shop items:

1. The indicator currently in the tool cabinet (on the grinder table) was being flaky during the mill class. I thought we had a spare in the cabinet, but I couldn’t find it. (I ended up borrowing the indicator from the CNC router toolkit.) Is the spare in use already? Are these indicators that frail? I think we may need a few more then.

2. I made and labelled a pole that is appropriately sized for cleaning out the hose of the aluminum vacuum when needed. It should be leaning against the cabinet nearby. (Eric and I have discussed getting a vacuum setup like the new woodshop vacuums, except with a much needed much larger diameter main hose, but we’re both too busy to get to that soon, I think.)

3. After the mill class the other day, I removed the three handles to the quill. As far as I know, no one uses them – the rotary control is preferred – and they are always in the way. They’re in the adjacent cabinet if anyone wants them. (I would remove the whole mechanism they attach to if I could, as it can get in the way too, but that doesn’t seem possible.)

1 Like

I don’t know where the indicator in the CNC kit came from, could be the spare.

No, that’s been part of the CNC kit for quite a while. It’s even rusty, though functional. I may be the only person who’s used it on the CNC though.

There is 2 or 3 more under the tormach. They are not that frail but people learning break them. Will o