How to skip class requirements if we have previous experience?

Hi, I just started my membership at ASMBLY last week. I was wondering if there was a way for me to skip needing to take the 3D printer class

I’ve been using FDM printers for 5 years, Resin printers for 2 years, and I have actually completely designed an FDM 3D printer from scratch. I have experience with PLA, PETG, TPU, and Nylon (including CF and GF Nylon) and have used multiple slicers and have modeled literally hundreds of models that I print.

Tagging @Devmani as the best person to answer this question

There isn’t really a “skip” you will need to take a short form course and pay a fee for learning how we do the order of operations at the space. However, this is a discussion I need to have with @David on the cost and process as in the past it’s really been at my discretion on how this proceeds. Let me get back to you on that. Keep in mind that our FDM and Resin printers would be two separate courses as they are not covered together in the intro course (the Resin course hasn’t even been formally fleshed out as there are a few processes that need to be refined)

Unrelated to your question, I’d like to start a conversation with you about your experience in 3d modeling @pearlgreymusic and, even better, if you have a portfolio of things you have modeled.

@Devmani

There isn’t really a “skip” you will need to take a short form course and pay a fee for learning how we do the order of operations at the space.

Just for clarification, is there a separate short-form-course or is the 3.5hr one under the “Classes” listing the short-form one? It does make sense that I’d need to learn the particular processes at ASMBLY regarding usage etiquette, schedules, what to do if something breaks (self-diagnose or let ASMBLY handle it), etc, though a condensed course that bypasses the beginner material (types of printers, types of filament, downloading models, etc) would be convenient.

I’d like to start a conversation with you about your experience in 3d modeling @pearlgreymusic and, even better, if you have a portfolio of things you have modeled.

Here’s a few of my printing related projects. Everything printed on each project is 90-100% my original design:

This is a cantilever cartesian FDM printer I designed and built out of mostly spare parts (hand-me-downs from my main printer after upgrades, leftover 2020). Everything except the hotend carriage is my own design, and the hotend/x-carriage is an existing design I mostly like but with some flaws I improved on

This is my 3lb-class combat robot (like “Battlebots”), it’s chassis, weapon supports, pulleys, and gears are 3DP Nylon, and the front plough and wheels are TPU (with the tires cast in the TPU hubs with urethane).

This is a desk macropad that moves my desk up/down, resets the monitors when they jank up, and controls IoT things in my office. The keycaps themselves were purchased but the body of it is printed. My computer desk is made of 2020 extrusions and part of why I chose this material is ease of designing 3DP accessories for things like VR controller mounts, headphone hook, microphone arm mount, etc.

In the center is a cosplay helmet, was actually the first project I made when I first got my printer, it’s been processed heavily with Bondo and painting after printing. In the back, the fake IKEA succulents live in mostly-3DP shelves, and the SteamVR light house is ceiling mounted with a 3DP offset. Cables are managed in the office ceiling with more 3DP hooks. The shelves at the very veryyyy left edge have 3DP brackets.

1 Like

The short form would be like 30-45 minutes just covering the workflow with the understanding that that user understands the slicer of their choice and such. I wouldn’t cover anything about filament types except how to use em with our printers (use glues, don’t use glue etc)

1 Like

Where can we sign up for the short-form class?

Tagging @David for visibility but we should have something within the week put together.

1 Like