Hinges and Knobs with Shaper Origin

Hardware cutouts are tedious and time-consuming; Shaper Origin makes them fast and easy.

While there are hundreds of downloadable designs on Shaper Hub, I designed three to test:

Using the new Shaper Studio web-based design software I iterated till I got it right. What’s “Got it right” mean? Check it out, they’re cut to just the friction-fit I wanted and with recesses that is just the look I wanted. Having locked down the design I can now do these cutouts in less than five minutes each.

Here’s the scrap walnut I used after the cutouts were finalized:

Here you can see the set-up from prototype on the front right to design on the Origin’s screen.

If you’d like to check it out yourself then look for the “Shaper Origin” laser-cut box on the tool’s cart in the Textiles room. Pull the hardware out, inspect the cuts, and test the tightness of the fits. I didn’t secure the hardware because it’s for demo purposes. If you’d like to try to cut these yourself using my hardware then write to me and I’ll send you the design file. If you create hardware cutouts in your woodworking then it’s worth learning this strength of Origin.

5 Likes

Very cool @TravisGood! Thanks for sharing your experience and leaving examples for people to put their paws on.

1 Like

FYI, this is what the cut’s annotated design looks like, saved in an SVG file format.

Recall that different colors for line and fill convey different meanings to the Origin.

3 Likes

I saw these when I was using the shaper today. Really impressive precision and great application of the Shapers abilities.

Next time you’re there using the Shaper Origin, give the cuts a try.
I have put a thumb drive in the laser-cut box with the design file.
Just plug it in the side and go to town on some scrap wood!

2 Likes

This Thursday. Also finishing up box joints Thursday before Shaper Class. Fun stuff.