Help me build out my new space / Last day at Asmbly

As many of you might already know, I am moving back to California next week and this Thursday will be my last day at Asmbly. It’s certainly a bittersweet moment for me. I’ve been so fortunate to be a part of this incredible community and it’s definitely going to be sad to have to go. I am deeply grateful for my time spent here and all the wisdom you’ve shared.

But now it is onto the next adventure! I’m excited to share that I’m moving back to California to start my own company. As a part of this new journey, I also get the opportunity to build out my own workshop/personal makerspace. While it won’t quite be the same without all of you (and the obnoxiously loud dust collector), I’m excited to finally have a place to call my own.

With that in mind, I’m reaching out to the collective genius of this community for a bit of guidance:

Woodworking: As I set up my garage shop, I’m on the lookout for recommendations for entry-level woodworking tools. From saws to hand tools and beyond, what are your must-haves for getting started? I don’t think I’ll be taking on any projects for hire anytime soon, but I would like to be able to build cabinets, workbenches, and such for the shop.

Metal Shop: Similarly, I’m diving into setting up a metal shop. I’ve secured a Tormach 1100MX CNC mill which will be the crown jewel of the shop. If you have suggestions on essential tools or equipment that any good metal shop should have, I’m all ears.

I’m really sad to be leaving such an amazing community but I am happy for what’s ahead. If you would like to hang out I’ll be at Asmbly Thursday evening to cnc out some mdf panels with James. And should your travels ever bring you to Central Valley California, remember there’s a friendly face and a garage fridge full of beers waiting for you.

9 Likes

LFG!!! :racing_car:

(wow discourse is set to micromanage. Yes that is a complete sentence.)

3 Likes

Yeah discourse doesnt like it when you type small replies. Gotta be at least 12 words or something.

Congrats on the new shop. I’m working on a similar project and its so hard to plan a space out before you use it, but its so much easier if you set it up right the first time

2 Likes

Miss you already.

2 Likes