Hand Tool Library?

Do we have an available tool list/library? I’m wondering if there’s a heat gun I can use.

I’ve got a heart gun I can lend to you

1 Like

There are 2 heat guns in the electronics lab I believe.

1 Like

We don’t have anything library style at Asmbly. Tools have to stay in the facility.

Oh I didn’t mean it quite like that, more like what tools are there available in the space, not to “check out” to take home.

Ah OK I gotcha! People have expressed interest in the “checkout to take home” before which is cool, but just not something we can support at this time.

this is the tool library but it only covers the big stuff
Asmbly Wiki

@jamesfreeman I’ll ask to make sure I know the answer: the heat guns in the electronics lab are for the electronics lab, right? They shouldn’t be brought into the woodshop for heat bending wood?

I don’t mind buying a cheap one, so it’s no biggie either way. A heat gun just happens to be one of the things I’m also curious about, but specifically for bending wood, not using for electronics.

1 Like

I’m curious how you’re using a heat gun to bend wood.

This is crazy. I’ve never seen anyone do this before.

Oh I guess it’s kind of like using steam, as you heat up soaked wood it probably has the same affect as steam bending does.

1 Like

Yessir, same basic principle, just without the steam.
Now, A, I haven’t done this before, and B, I’m not looking to make nearly as severe a bend as the guy in that video. :grin: But same idea, yeah.

I’m thinking specifically of recurved tips on an American style short bow, since I’ve got a shorter offcut from a board intended for a longer American style flat bow already.

2 Likes

Wood bending class would be awesome. Putting in my vote in case anybody was thinking of leading one.

2 Likes

I would refer to the electronics stewards on this one. @mark999

I didn’t see this until now. There are two hot air reflow guns that need to stay in the lab, and then there’s a large tub that has at least two generic heat guns. I don’t have an issue with those being used elsewhere. And if any stewards have a better idea of where to locate those heat guns or the glue guns, I’m open to it.

Thanks! Is the large tub in the electronics lab?

Yes. It’s blue, and it should be on a shelf above the bench with the microscope, with a label of heat tools or similar.

Awesome, great to know. If I do happen to snag one out of the tub for wood bending, I’ll be sure it ends up back in the tub when finished. Thanks for the info!