Fusion 360 CAM next Wednesday! No Pre-Req

Hello everyone,
I am teaching a fusion 360 CAM class next Wednesday at 6pm. If you’re interested in learning the Tormach this is a required Pre-Req. This is also a great class if you are wanting to use Fusion to make your toolpaths on the CNC routers!

Note: Intro to Machining is also required to take the Tormach Operational class.

Class will be posted soon.
DM me with any questions

@TravisGood @alan @johncwolfe23 @njacks1

2 Likes

Will the class be hosted online, or is it an in-person class? I’ll be out of town all next week, but would really like to attend.

Sorry, It is an in person class. I might consider teaching it online in the future but based on how hands on it is I feel it would probably be difficult to give the same level of education via online class.

@jamesfreeman might have more insight as he teaches the CNC router class online and he has taken my class.

Definitely recommend in person for the CAM class. Lots of specifics that involve going back and forth, easier to do in person.

Where is the cost and sign up?

Hopefully it will be posted soon I messaged the Education people on Friday, so it might not be posted till Monday. will post again when up. You have already paid for and taken the class once, so it is free for you. You can just show up

Here is the class description for reference:

FUSION 360 CLASS CAM (TORMACH PART 1)
Class Cost : $75
Time: 3hrs
When 6/15 6-9PM
Max Class size: 4 people
Also useful for using Fusion to create toolpaths on CNC Router
Note does not replace regular CNC router class part 1
Pre-Requisites- NONE
Requirements for Class:
1.Laptop with fusion 360 downloaded
(There is one desktop with fusion available please contact eric@asmbly.org to reserve for the class)
2.General Idea of fusion 360 layout
3. 3d model of part you would be interested in making

Class Description: in this class you will learn how to use the “Manufacture” portion of Fusion 360 to create toolpaths that you can use to make stuff on the Tormach as well as the CNC Router. Note: we do not go over modeling in Fusion 360 just how to create the toolpaths that can be exported for use on the CNC machines. Review the syllabus for more details on the class.
SYLLABUS
Note: free version okay but if you are regular CNC user would recommend paid for version

1. Importing STEP files into fusion
    a. Move/Align Functions
  2. Putting “Fixtures” into Fusion workspace (NOTE: workflow for importing models)
    a. Integrating Fixtures into Fusion 360 CAM - YouTube
    b. Tormach’s Quality Mill Support
    c. VICES
    d. PALLETS
    e. MACHINE TABLE
    f. Add parts directly into file via top left corner 9 dots (Drag in)
  3. Go Over Stock Setup
    a. Sizing your stock (talk about oversizing stock etc.)(Sawing)
    i. How much you have to hold stock in vise .150in
    b. Setting up work coordinate system
  4. Toolpaths
    a. What are toolpaths
    b. Which toolpaths to use for what feature (talk about machine limitations (i.e. no tool changer impacts what toolpaths to use)
    c. Using simulation
  5. Tooling & Feeds & Speeds
    a. Tool setup

b. Creating a Tool library
c. Proven cut reference
i. Sent via email
d. General feeds & speeds tips
-HAAS Feeds and Speeds video
https://www.haascnc.com/video/tipoftheday/zzzipc39wug.html
Getting Started with Feeds & Speeds - NYC CNC
Speeds & Feeds Worksheet - NYC CNC
Setting Up cloud based tool Libraries;

e. Creating Toolpath templates in fusion
6. Post Processing (exporting files)
7. Multiple Setup parts (designs that require multiple setups)
a. Which features to machine first
b. Limitations
c. Indicating
d. Work offsets G54 G55: Multiple Work Coordinate Systems with Fusion 360 and Tormach! WW147 - YouTube 6:21 important
8. General workflow review
9. Practice Toolpaths

YOUTUBE PLAYLIST- fusion - YouTube (please send any recommendations for videos)

Thank you.
I was wanting to refresh the documentation for Asmbly and then try to actually use it.

Here is a link to the class – Asmbly Makerspace

@EricP it’s a good idea to send to classes@asmbly.org rather than any one individual so that the full team helping with this stuff sees. We also really need to get this info further in advance so there is not such an immediate rush for volunteer efforts getting the class added.