Forgetful people need help closing the door

Okay, this is about my wife and myself forgetting to close the garage when we go to bed. I’d like to set up a wireless servo switch on the garage door that indicates that the door is open. The remote servo switch (on the garage door track) turns on a light(s) so we don’t forget to hit the remote on the garage door switch. Doesn’t sound that difficult unless you don’t know what to buy. Lots of switches… lots of ways to put them together. Too many choices.

Looking for a teacher

Thanks

Not specific to what you’re asking about here, but something that could help solve the problem. Our garage door opener has its own app, and through that app you can set a schedule for exactly the reason you mention. I can give you system details if you’re interested

Thanks Stephannie

We have a Chambers door opener. Probably 8 years old or so. If there’s something out there we’d welcome the information.

If you want to app-ify an older garage door opener, there are options The 3 Best Smart Garage Door Opener Controllers of 2022 | Reviews by Wirecutter

If you want to roll your own, any wireless door/window sensor will work on a garage door, though some might need clever bracketry. I have an Abode mini sensor on mine, and it worked fine just stuck to the edge.

I had a roughly 8-year-old chamberlain at my old house and it worked great with the MyQ Bridge – it’s an internet accessory for any “Security+” opener. There’s also (or at least there used to be) a door state indicator accessory that was native wireless security+, no wifi or IOT required.

We have a LiftMaster system that is at least a few years old. And it also uses the MyQ system. In our case we can control everything via either the myQ app or through our Apple HomePod system.

In a quick search, it looks like all the garage door openers have some sort of smart system, so this is the normal approach now. I believe Alexa or google home systems also have their own forms of integration, depending on which ecosystem you live in.

Here is a screen grab of the page on the app for setting up schedules