First CNC Project - Built Ins

Hey All, Just joined Makerspace after taking the intro to CNC class a couple weeks ago. Looking forward to getting to know you all. I’ve been learning Fusion and am about 80% done with the design / rendering work. Any advice / thoughts would be appreciated.

Here’s the inspiration shot. It’s a double sided glass built-in cabinet with inset doors.

I have two mirrored built ins. They are 8’ tall and 36" wide. I will be using 3/4" MDF for the cut material

The shelves have a 1/4" tenon joins on the edge strip. I think I need to round these because the mortise side won’t be perfectly square.

I’m cutting half of the door out of 1/2" MDF and the other half out of 1/4" deep piece with room for glass in the middle (see second photo). I will be nailing / gluing them together rather than having to build a ton of mortise and tenon joints for the door. I think this design should be sturdy but I’m not 100% sure.

I have a beveled edge to let the doors close but I still need to add the cut out for the butt hinges.

I’m about ready to start prepping the I think it’s called a cut plan? Then I need to layer in the routing paths. Not really sure how to do either. Anyone have any good instructional videos?

4 Likes

Welcome to Asmbly Ian! While I cannot help you with your question, I did want to congratulate you on taking on this beautiful design and learning Fusion. I’m excited to see pictures of this cabinet as you progress.

1 Like

Thanks Michael!

A lot of people use mozaik to help do this. (The space has a license i believe.
For programming toolpaths in fusion you just drag all the parts into the same file, align them so they fit on a 4x8 sheet stock size and go from there. I can probably share one of my fusion files if thats the route you want to take.