Finishing in the current Woodshop

Are we allowed to finish in the woodshop or in the parking lot outside? Like apply woodstain or poly using those tables as work surfaces (would be good practice to put some sort of a drop layer) and treat them as a glue-up while they dry? I don’t know what the policy is regarding fume-heavy processes though since wearing a VOC respirator isn’t exactly the norm in that space, I assume it’s frowned upon or forbidden.

I understand that right now, there are plans for a future finishing room, likely once the Fiber Laser is completed and moved out of it’s current room, and that is where such activities make a lot more sense to do?

1 Like

You are allowed to finish in the woodshop. But given the dust in the air, most choose not to

1 Like

Makes sense! Still probably better than the finishing location options I have at home though

Also good to note that the glue up tables are the most appropriate locations (albeit not in terms of dust) because they are dedicated to this sort of thing and are expected to be schmootzed. They should also have paper rolls opposite the CNC side that you can lay out on the table.

1 Like

Some artful timing might help as well. Meaning, do your finishing late night on a day when the woodshop hasn’t been in use for a few hours, and then it gets the benefit of a couple hours when we’re closed

2 Likes

Good thing I’m a night owl!

I’m gonna add a correction to that. Oil based and solvent based finishes should not be used in the shop. The vapors go through the entire shop and the ventilation is not adequate. Everyone is exposed. Some give off more vapor than others, but we can’t go product by product. Water based is okay as are hard wax/oil finishes.

4 Likes

I rent out the finishing room at my shop on Howard Lane, about 15 minutes from Asmbly. I have a five turbine HVLP spray system available, or it can simply be used as a clean room for wipe on finishes. Asmbly members receive a discount.

5 Likes

I’m interested, what are your rates? (If you’d prefer, I can be DM’d the rate too)

I’m working on a dedicated scheduling page on my website (www.elementalwoodworks.com), but in the meantime here are the rental details. Feel free to also DM me or email me at charles@elementalwoodworks.com if you additional questions.

Finishing room rental rates:

If not spraying (roll or wipe on finishes):
Full day (9-6): $45 for Asmbly members (regular $50)

If spraying (water based only due to fire risk from airborne solvents):

• Half day (9-1 or 2-6): $125 for Asmbly members (regular $150)
  • Full day (9-6): $225 for Asmbly members (regular $250)
  • Spray gun cleaning fee is included in the above rates.

I am open to further discounts for multi-day usage and/or ongoing regular usage.

Items may be left overnight to dry provided they are picked up by 9am the following day (or Monday if the room is rented on a Saturday).

I will do a quick overview of the spray equipment with new users. I do offer basic instruction on spray gun setup and techniques for an additional teaching fee of $100.

Advance scheduling is required as the room is also used for my own client projects.

Included equipment and supplies:

• Apollo Precision Pro 5 turbine HVLP system
  • Apollo 7500 spray gun (B cap for clears; C cap for paint)
  • I have other guns that will be available at a lower rate, however I need to get some adaptors to connect them to my HVLP system. You can also bring your own spray gun at a lower rate; just need to figure out adaptors.
  • 5000 kelvin overhead and switchable side / raking lights
  • Drying racks
  • Mixing station
  • Basic consumables like paper towels, stir sticks, etc. are included as long as people aren’t wasteful.

My shop is fully air conditioned with humidity control. The finishing room has a cross-ventilation set up with MERV 15 filters on the intake side and fiberglass filters on the exhaust side. There is also a ceiling air filter that can be run to help clean the air prior to finishing (and during if not spraying).

It is expected that people will keep the room tidy and clean up after themselves.

Address:
Elemental Woodworks
1914 W Howard Ln, Ste D
Austin, TX 78728

5 Likes

Thank you for the info on www.elementalwoodworks.com. I live around the corner on Avenue N in the Woods Of Century Park,