DRO Y Scale Cleaning help Rong Fu 45

Hey Machine shop users,
I reached out to Acu-Rite about the issues with the Y-Axis on our DRO.
They sent me a cleaning procedure that will hopefully solve the issue. If it doesn’t, we will just purchase a replacement scale.

If anyone is interested in taking this on, please reach out here. It should be a relatively straightforward process. @west @mgmoore @sknodl

Let me know.
Thanks,
Eric

1 Like

I would be willing to try it out, but I’m very much a beginner to all this stuff / still haven’t milled anything on a manual mill outside of the one class we had. So I might not be the best person to verify my “fixing” things worked, if that makes sense?

I would be willing to take this on, last time I used the mill I didn’t trust the DRO, and while doing milling using dial indicators was an interesting exercise, not one I feel the need to repeat. @west if you are interested in assisting we can coordinate a time.

I would be happy to assist to the extent I can. Is there a good time during the evening (say 6:30pm or later) this week that works for you, or maybe this weekend?

6:30pm Thursday (27th) would work for me

What was the procedure. You can email if it is involved

I will email the procedure to all 3 of you it is nothing more than taking covers off etc and wiping clean with denatured alcohol and lint free wipes

1 Like

Thanks for helping out!

I’d definitely be willing to do this as well, but it sounds like the others can get to it sooner than I can. But definitely send me the procedure.

One note: since moving the vise back to the center, I discovered a small dead zone in the DRO for the X direction as well, just a few inches right of the vise’s center location. Before it would have been way too far off to the right to be an issue for anyone using the vise.

Thanks for the heads up, yah best to do both axis then.

Thanks Eric,

Please send me the instructions also. I’ll plan on coming by this Thursday as well to help first hand.

Steve

Will do, would also be glad to hear any suggestions on layout/ any additional things that would make the machine shop more usable/accessible for everyone.

1 Like

Are Denatured alcohol and lint free swabs something that are on hand at the space (possibly in the stewards cabinet) or do I need to pick those items up?

@da5idii don’t believe we have any on hand, I will purchase more for the future but if you can grab some for tomorrow that will be great. we can reimburse.

Thanks again,
Eric

@da5idii

Brian, apologies I am just seeing your message now. I don’t think the forum emailed me alerting that it had been posted?

I can meet tonight if you are still available. I will also PM you my personal info for better ways to contact me

@west I will be there this evening starting about 6:30.

@west @da5idii Will also come by to help. I didn’t get the instructions via email. What hand tools do we need for the disassembly/re-assembly that might not be easily assessable/available at the shop.

I have all the tools listed in the instructions

• Safety glasses
  • Philips head screwdriver
  • Lint free wipes
  • Denatured Alcohol
  • Screwdriver or scratch awl
  • Cotton swabs

Add allen wrenches to the list

We successfully cleaned the X and Y scales and the DRO seems to be working now. We did notice on the Y axis ~0.002 per inch discrepancy between the DRO and the hand wheel, but the discrepancy was consistent and repeatable

5 Likes