Drag Knife on CNC

And I just realized that what we’re talking about is a VCarve option and not a LinuxCNC option. My present tool chain (AKA workflow) doesn’t include VCarve. Instead I’m attempting to use FreeCAD → Inkscape → svg2gcode → LinuxCNC. If that’s a failure then VCarve might be needed. Right now I’m not impacted. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

It’s no big deal to remove the G-code line so the spindle doesn’t turn on.

Of course you should not turn on the big red-and-yellow rotary switch for spindle power. This will guarantee it won’t spin your knife if you forget to remove it.

If LinuxCNC encounters a spindle start command and the spindle power is off, it will wait for the spindle to respond indefinitely and not move on to the next command. It’s not locked up or anything, you can just hit Stop.

VCarve does have the “drag knife fillet” tool, BTW. Because if you need to cut out a square and the square is your final product, a castering drag knife will not only round off the corners but do a little tear where the direction of travel does a 90 deg corner, forcing the knife to rotate in place.

Castering drag knife probs are minimized by keeping the lag distance low with the knife design, but that can make it worse if the knife fails to rotate promptly. Some cutters use driven knives with a stepper motor that forces its orientation.

I don’t know for sure but I think most cutters just keep the lag distance low and run the design cuts without adding fillets. The fillets are complicated to because it matters which part you’re saving vs throwing out. It can only put fillets through the throwaway part.